Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: That Trudeau chap is great. He seems to have spent his last week or so

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I'd have thought you'd be right up their Straße on Prevent, what with your rank apologism n'all.
    I wanted them to confront the issue of radical islamic terrorism head on and take a stand on what would and wouldnt be tolerated, in the name of defending democracy, free speech, poofs etc....

What we got was a pathetic excuse for policy which didnt mention belief-based extremism even in the abstract and played along with the notion that all ideas are welcome as long as they are not 'extreme'- without any detail as to what does and doesnt constitute extremism and who decides.

I am not having that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    When in fact they haven't been thinking at all.
    Quite. If we can ban someone from speaking in opposition to gay marriage why can we not also ban someone speaking in defence of a faith or faiths that oppose it?

I am for free speech in virtually all cases and would welcome anyone here to discuss ideas. My position is not over thought and perfectly understandable. I cannot understand the official position at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I wanted them to confront the issue of radical islamic terrorism head on and take a stand on what would and wouldnt be tolerated, in the name of defending democracy, free speech, poofs etc....

What we got was a pathetic excuse for policy which didnt mention belief-based extremism even in the abstract and played along with the notion that all ideas are welcome as long as they are not 'extreme'- without any detail as to what does and doesnt constitute extremism and who decides.

I am not having that.
    So they think you're an islamophobe, too?

I am not having that.
    I think tearing down the grand narrative of religious dogma may be slightly beyond the remit of the Home Office, tbh.

I think tearing down the grand narrative of religious dogma may be slightly beyond the remit of the Home Office, tbh.
    True, but I am taking about our own interpretation of it which was hopelessly vague but still implied certain curtailments on your freedom of belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So they think you're an islamophobe, too?
    They struggle with the idea that one can be opposed to a curtailment on grounds other than supporting the issue.

when I complained that their symposium debating gay marriage had refused to allow an opponent a platform they asked me why I opposed gay marriage. I had to explain a hundred times that that wasnt the issue and that you simply cannot debate something if you close down one side of the debate.

They struggle with the idea that one can be opposed to a curtailment on grounds other than supporting the issue.

when I complained that their symposium debating gay marriage had refused to allow an opponent a platform they asked me why I opposed gay marriage. I had to explain a hundred times that that wasnt the issue and that you simply cannot debate something if you close down one side of the debate.
    You are basically our Jordan Peterson, fighting the good fight, with no fear of putting uncomfortable truths ahead of comforting lies.

You're the best, Peter.

You are basically our Jordan Peterson, fighting the good fight, concerned only by what is right, not what *feels* right.

You're the best, Peter.
    Peter Jordanson

You are basically our Jordan Peterson, fighting the good fight, with no fear of putting uncomfortable truths ahead of comforting lies.

You're the best, Peter.

Or, just a pain in the arse who has nothing better to do.

.. fighting the good fight, with no fear of putting uncomfortable truths ahead of comforting lies.
    Don't you mean "Kevin" Pietersen?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."