Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Doctors, lawyers, teahcers, intellectuals, businessmen, journalists:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. Simply that what is good for business is good for everyone.
    That is exactly what Corbyn is saying. It should be like that and he will make sure it is.

So you agree with him....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That is exactly what Corbyn is saying. It should be like that and he will make sure it is.

So you agree with him....
    Business would appear to disagree, p.

No. Simply that what is good for business is good for everyone.
    Sometimes, but not always. A mass increase in demand for undertakers might not be good for everyone, and the success of one company might be at another's expense. Dogma, you see.

Don't get me wrong, I like business and wouldn't want to work in the public sector but I have no illusions about the limits of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Sometimes, but not always. A mass increase in demand for undertakers might not be good for everyone, and the success of one company might be at another's expense. Dogma, you see.

Don't get me wrong, I like business and wouldn't want to work in the public sector but I have no illusions about the limits of the market.
    Sorry, a, but for all the short term damage it may entail, the success of one company at the expense of another still represents a net benefit because the consumer wins from keen competition, which drives up standards and forces down price.

And the undertaker example is silly because it posits an external factor as a critique of market forces: namely a spike in mortality. Even then the market works, though. A spike in deaths is not only good for undertakers, it means greater demand for labour, which means higher average wages, lower demand for goods and thus lower prices. Again, it's a net win.

Capitalism works, a. The market works. Really fücking well. Sorry, but it does.

Right up until some cöck of a politician tries to put their thumb on the scale, of course.

Business would appear to disagree, p.
    Tough. What is good for everyone is good for business. If everyone else agrees this is good then business will just have to 'go whistle' wont it.

Incidentally, 'business' wanted to stay in the EU. So even you agree that some things are more important than what business 'wants'.....

Sorry, a, but for all the short term damage it may entail, the success of one company at the expense of another still represents a net benefit because the consumer wins from keen competition, which drives up standards and forces down price.

And the undertaker example is silly because it posits an external factor as a critique of market forces: namely a spike in mortality. Even then the market works, though. A spike in deaths is not only good for undertakers, it means greater demand for labour, which means higher average wages, lower demand for goods and thus lower prices. Again, it's a net win.

Right up until some cöck of a politician tries to put their thumb on the scale, of course.
    Nobody is suggesting that capitalism doesnt work. Of course it works. The argument is about how it works and for whom.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Nobody is suggesting that capitalism doesnt work. Of course it works. The argument is about how it works and for whom.
    I think you'll find Comrade Corbyn and his hordes taking issue with your assertion. I think you'll find they actively hate capitalism.

Yeah, I know how the market works. We could quibble about market failings all afternoon, it's just that a statement like "what is good for business is good for everyone" holds in an abstract, rhetorical and ideological sense but there are always winners and losers, and ignoring the externalities and market distortions is not taking in the whole picture, and is actually dogmatic.

Even Adam Smith acknowledged that the real world wasn't quite as elegant and beautiful as the pure theory.

I think you'll find Comrade Corbyn and his hordes taking issue with your assertion. I think you'll find they actively hate capitalism.
    I don't think you will find that and it isnt what he said.

Its a new kind of politics, b. It seems to be what people want and, as you have repeatedly pointed out re Brexit, that is all that really matters.