Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Grey Whistle Test 40th Anniversary Beeb 4 this weekend

Old Grey Whistle Test 40th Anniversary Beeb 4 this weekend

I can honestly say TOGWT had a bigger influence on me than Top of the Pops,John Peel et al
    I can distinctly remember watching and thinking Bob Marley was from fúcking Neptune :sigh:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I can honestly say TOGWT had a bigger influence on me than Top of the Pops,John Peel et al
    I can distinctly remember watching and thinking Bob Marley was from fúcking Neptune :sigh:
    Whispering Bob, the thinking man’s muso. Don’t get me started on thin ***** **** Peel. ****er.

First time I ever heard of Skynyrd was on TOGWT. Changed my life.

Did you see Don Letts programme on Skinheads last weekend, not sure if it was BBC4 or Sky Arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Whispering Bob, the thinking man’s muso. Don’t get me started on thin ***** **** Peel. ****er.

It also gave us Messrs Hepworth and Ellen, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Did you see Don Letts programme on Skinheads last weekend, not sure if it was BBC4 or Sky Arts?
    I did aye
    I enjoyed it but thought it was a tad simplistic.No real explanation how it had morphed from mod

LOL- Loved his reaction when he had the New York Dolls on.He didn't really get the punk thing old Bob

LOL- Loved his reaction when he had the New York Dolls on.He didn't really get the punk thing old Bob
    He was right. With a couple of notable exceptions, punk was pretty much rubbish.

Most overrated cultural moment in British history, the punk 'movement' imo.

I did aye
    I enjoyed it but thought it was a tad simplistic.No real explanation how it had morphed from mod
    Aye, just went from Windrush generation to London estates in the late 60s.

I'm not sure about that Letts bloke. Seems obligatory for any show he ever does that he mentions the fact he DJ'ed at The Roxy.

Let us not forget though that the barely audible old hippy tried to naysay Roxy Music. If he'd had his way music would have ceased to evolve beyond Yes and other such tiresome prog rock pomposity.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He was right. With a couple of notable exceptions, punk was pretty much rubbish.

Most overrated cultural moment in British history, the punk 'movement' imo.
    But let us not confuse that with New Wave which was like a shot of heroin straight into the bellend while wanton naked sirens danced around you . err.. quite exciting.