Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Grey Whistle Test 40th Anniversary Beeb 4 this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Aye, just went from Windrush generation to London estates in the late 60s.

I'm not sure about that Letts bloke. Seems obligatory for any show he ever does that he mentions the fact he DJ'ed at The Roxy.
    Letts has made some good programmes imo. And if you'd DJ'ed at the Roxy you might mention it from time to time. Did you like the prog? I saw it was on BBC4 but we had something else to watch. I might iPlayer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've had disagreements with people on here about Roxy Music. Ash in particular was quite harsh about them.

I love them because they literally don't sound like any other band.
    Fair dinkum, they had a sound. It's just him. He creeps me out. Like a male Kate Bush - all wobbly and spooky.

He was right. With a couple of notable exceptions, punk was pretty much rubbish.

Most overrated cultural moment in British history, the punk 'movement' imo.
    It was just a long overdue application of the reset button. There was plenty of great music around, but punk was an important reminder that music should sometimes be about anger and should certainly be a possibility for a bunch of lads meeting up in their dad's garage.

When I joined my first band only the guitarist knew how to play an instrument but that didn't stop us trying. Punk enabled that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Letts has made some good programmes imo. And if you'd DJ'ed at the Roxy you might mention it from time to time. Did you like the prog? I saw it was on BBC4 but we had something else to watch. I might iPlayer it.
    Yes it was quite watchable.

The transition from Jamaican music through to the more aggressive Oi is one hell of a musical path, stopping off en route with the NF and of course Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Fair dinkum, they had a sound. It's just him. He creeps me out. Like a male Kate Bush - all wobbly and spooky.
    Re-examine the footage of him at Live Aid, with two microphones sellotaped together.

The man is a god.

I've had disagreements with people on here about Roxy Music. Ash in particular was quite harsh about them.

I love them because they literally don't sound like any other band.
    Wouldn't have had you down as a Rory Music fan, b. Most surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Wouldn't have had you down as a Rory Music fan, b. Most surprising.
    I am a surprising man, p. It's what everyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Yeah,didn't really get the non-musicality thing about it.Obviously the bands that had a career were the ones that could play
    But the point was it made scrotes like us realise that you didn't have to be Eric Clapton before you gave it a go. You could make a noise and make your point, and that was a decent start. After that you might get a bit better, like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    But the point was it made scrotes like us realise that you didn't have to be Eric Clapton before you gave it a go. You could make a noise and make your point, and that was a decent start. After that you might get a bit better, like.
    Of course....I was called Victor Vomit in my band don't you know.

I am a surprising man, p. It's what everyone says.
    I saw Bryan Ferry live last summer (or the one before) in a field somewhere. Right in the middle of a set that had everyone jumping around he did five solemn Dylan covers in a row, totally alienating his audience for nearly half an hour.

I developed a genuine respect for the chap as a result. **** the fans, this is what I do. Just like Springsteen