Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Grey Whistle Test 40th Anniversary Beeb 4 this weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old Grey Whistle Test 40th Anniversary Beeb 4 this weekend

I can honestly say TOGWT had a bigger influence on me than Top of the Pops,John Peel et al
    I can distinctly remember watching and thinking Bob Marley was from fúcking Neptune :sigh:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I can honestly say TOGWT had a bigger influence on me than Top of the Pops,John Peel et al
    I can distinctly remember watching and thinking Bob Marley was from fúcking Neptune :sigh:
    Whispering Bob, the thinking man’s muso. Don’t get me started on thin ***** **** Peel. ****er.

First time I ever heard of Skynyrd was on TOGWT. Changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Whispering Bob, the thinking man’s muso. Don’t get me started on thin ***** **** Peel. ****er.

It also gave us Messrs Hepworth and Ellen, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

LOL- Loved his reaction when he had the New York Dolls on.He didn't really get the punk thing old Bob

LOL- Loved his reaction when he had the New York Dolls on.He didn't really get the punk thing old Bob
    He was right. With a couple of notable exceptions, punk was pretty much rubbish.

Most overrated cultural moment in British history, the punk 'movement' imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He was right. With a couple of notable exceptions, punk was pretty much rubbish.

But let us not confuse that with New Wave which was like a shot of heroin straight into the bellend while wanton naked sirens danced around you . err.. quite exciting.

Yeah,didn't really get the non-musicality thing about it.Obviously the bands that had a career were the ones that could play

Yeah,didn't really get the non-musicality thing about it.Obviously the bands that had a career were the ones that could play
    But the point was it made scrotes like us realise that you didn't have to be Eric Clapton before you gave it a go. You could make a noise and make your point, and that was a decent start. After that you might get a bit better, like.

It was just a long overdue application of the reset button. There was plenty of great music around, but punk was an important reminder that music should sometimes be about anger and should certainly be a possibility for a bunch of lads meeting up in their dad's garage.

When I joined my first band only the guitarist knew how to play an instrument but that didn't stop us trying. Punk enabled that.

Whispering Bob has a bar named after him at our local music venue, he is the guest host every few months
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar