Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old Grey Whistle Test 40th Anniversary Beeb 4 this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I saw Bryan Ferry live last summer (or the one before) in a field somewhere. Right in the middle of a set that had everyone jumping around he did five solemn Dylan covers in a row, totally alienating his audience for nearly half an hour.

I developed a genuine respect for the chap as a result. **** the fans, this is what I do. Just like Springsteen
    Eh, does Springsteen not do the opposite and pander to the crowd, on occasion deciding to play songs as "requested" on banners and/or placards?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Eh, does Springsteen not do the opposite and pander to the crowd, on occasion deciding to play songs as "requested" on banners and/or placards?
    Well, he will often go into the crowd and pluck out a sign asking for one of his ****test songs that only the holder of said sign wants to hear, if that is what you mean. Sometimes this is even muck that never made it on to an album.

He will sprinkle some of the biggies throughout the set but interspersed with an awful lot of junk, covers, b-sides, songs he gave to somebody else. THe hardcore fans collect songs like Panini stickers (ooh have you ever heard him do Thundercrack, etc).

So no, he doesnt really pander at all. But then he plays for 3 and a half hours so he can do what he likes really......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Well, he will often go into the crowd and pluck out a sign asking for one of his ****test songs that only the holder of said sign wants to hear, if that is what you mean. Sometimes this is even muck that never made it on to an album.

He will sprinkle some of the biggies throughout the set but interspersed with an awful lot of junk, covers, b-sides, songs he gave to somebody else. THe hardcore fans collect songs like Panini stickers (ooh have you ever heard him do Thundercrack, etc).

So no, he doesnt really pander at all. But then he plays for 3 and a half hours so he can do what he likes really......
    Or, to put it another way, he plays for people of intelligance and discernment who have followed him for years and actually appreciate what his music is about, rather than JCL plastic pop fans who think Dancing In The Dark is his bestest record evs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Or, to put it another way, he plays for people of intelligance and discernment who have followed him for years and actually appreciate what his music is about, rather than JCL plastic pop fans who think Dancing In The Dark is his bestest record evs.
    Have you ever carried one of these request placards?

You strike me as the type.

Have you ever carried one of these request placards?

You strike me as the type.
    Rude. No need for it. Can't help yourself. Drunk, I imagine.

Rude. No need for it. Can't help yourself. Drunk, I imagine.
    Incorrect.

I assumed you were associating the card carrying types with, and I quote, " people of intelligance and discernment who have followed him for years and actually appreciate what his music is about, rather than JCL plastic pop fans who think Dancing In The Dark is his bestest record evs."

Rude Dutch bender.

Yes, I think this is effectively what I was saying. He doesnt pander, he doesnt care if the JCLs are bored. Its admirable.

Would be nice if he played some of his best songs a little bit more often (Backstreets ONCE in the UK in the last 15 years) especially as, by the way, he plays Dancing in the Dark pretty much every night......

Other than that, I agree he is a wonderful man

Incorrect.

I assumed you were associating the card carrying types with, and I quote, " people of intelligance and discernment who have followed him for years and actually appreciate what his music is about, rather than JCL plastic pop fans who think Dancing In The Dark is his bestest record evs."

Rude Dutch bender.
    He took a sign once and Springsteen ignore it. He doesnt like to talk about it....