Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Weird experience watching Real v PSG last night

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Forgot about Haskell... I think Daly at 13 is a risk. JJ against the Scottish should be fun. Think May has to miss out. I know he'll stick with Brown but really looking forward to the time when he plays Nowell, Watson, Daly as a back three
    I assume you and BGs both agree that was a try for the Welshers on Saturday? Quite how the TMO misses that I don't know.

He seemed to introduce the idea of having the ball under control when you touched it down, but the rules I read in the papers made no mention of this.

Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I assume you and BGs both agree that was a try for the Welshers on Saturday? Quite how the TMO misses that I don't know.

He seemed to introduce the idea of having the ball under control when you touched it down, but the rules I read in the papers made no mention of this.

Bizarre.
    No - as the replays clearly show Evans' finger touching the ball so the subsequent grounding debate is irrelevant. Though I still think it is debatable - the wording of the rules say "Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal, against the opponents’ goal post or its surrounding padding". Merely touching the ball is not grounding it - surely the first person to ground it was Watson under any reasonable definition.

Speaking of which this is the WRU's own definition:

By holding it and touching the ground with it; or

By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

Neither of which Anscombe did. Rolland should have shut his cheating hole. He was a terrible referee and a cheat (it was disgraceful he was ever allowed to ref France games - got away with murder)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    No - as the replays clearly show Evans' finger touching the ball so the subsequent grounding debate is irrelevant. Though I still think it is debatable - the wording of the rules say "Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal, against the opponents’ goal post or its surrounding padding". Merely touching the ball is not grounding it - surely the first person to ground it was Watson under any reasonable definition.

Speaking of which this is the WRU's own definition:

By holding it and touching the ground with it; or

By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

Neither of which Anscombe did. Rolland should have shut his cheating hole. He was a terrible referee and a cheat (it was disgraceful he was ever allowed to ref France games - got away with murder)
    Hmmm, that puts you very much in the minority from the reviews I have read. I found it impossible to tell if the ball hit Evans finger or leg, it wasn't clear from the reply imo. And the commentators at the time thought that it clearly hadn't touched his fingers.

'By pressing down on it with a hand' - you don't think Anscombe did this? Looked to me like he did.

I suppose the other side of it is that it was only the Welsh, after. Sorry Mrs SW, just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Hmmm, that puts you very much in the minority from the reviews I have read. I found it impossible to tell if the ball hit Evans finger or leg, it wasn't clear from the reply imo. And the commentators at the time thought that it clearly hadn't touched his fingers.

'By pressing down on it with a hand' - you don't think Anscombe did this? Looked to me like he did.

I suppose the other side of it is that it was only the Welsh, after. Sorry Mrs SW, just the way it is.
    Watch this link
    https://rugbyonslaught.com/update-en...llowed-anyway/

Obviously this wasn't the footage available on the day but it clearly shows contact with the hand.

You must have a strange definition of pressing down - that is what Watson did. Anscombe pushed the ball forward if anything. Bottom line is if there is no TMO no way a referee gives that as a try. As you say only the Welsh - and if we really want to analyse the officials on the look at the penalty count (10-2 in favour of Wales) despite their frequent infringements, including one ruck where a Welsh forward committed at least three offences and was deemed to have won the ball fairly. Basically **** em