Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: So no more F1 Grid Girls and no scantily clad, fit birds leading the darts chaps out

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That assumes the country would be stupid enough to vote Corbyn in. I'm not convinced that will happen.
    How can they still be polling level with the Tories? What more evidence do people want of the kind of people Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott are? I remember someone on here standing up for him on the grounds that 'he's a good MP'. So the virulent anti-semitism, hatred of the UK, support for terrorism and record of lying is irrelevant because 'he's a good MP'? It sounds utterly bonkers to me, but if that's how 'the people' (God help us) think, and these people are allowed a vote, we're in a great deal of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Perhaps it's more about breeding than class?
    It always is with you, isn't it?

I didn't know about Mr Stork's Africa connection btw. Though I had heard about the timing of his wife's promotion and the nixxing of the email investigation. Looks like the memo is going to be released today. D's in meltdown. I wonder what the British media will make of it, having apparently never heard of it so far? MI6 man in US election interference shocker? Doubt it.
    Last edited by Ash; 02-01-2018 at 03:04 PM.

There was a large proportion of both sides that weren't particularly politically engaged. So what? It doesn't alter the fact that a lot of Leave voters were politically engaged. Nobody was suggesting that this trend was universal.

And I don't think conservatives have surrendered. They've just gone underground to avoid being called racist and screamed at by lefties.
    And we've got Range Rovers and Vuitton court shoes for the wife to buy and beef and boar for the hounds to organise and we're constantly trying to stop the kids beating each other over the head with their Nintendos and Macbooks. No time left for politics so the more, shall we say, independently-minded sorts, young people and homos, will have to deal with all that instead.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    How can they still be polling level with the Tories? What more evidence do people want of the kind of people Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott are? I remember someone on here standing up for him on the grounds that 'he's a good MP'. So the virulent anti-semitism, hatred of the UK, support for terrorism and record of lying is irrelevant because 'he's a good MP'? It sounds utterly bonkers to me, but if that's how 'the people' (God help us) think, and these people are allowed a vote, we're in a great deal of trouble.
    Granted, I find it extraordinary the number of moderate, apparently sane and reasonable Labour moderates who will acknowledge all those things and still vote Labour. I despair at the blinkered stupidity, tribalism and narrow-mindedness it takes to behave like that. However, polling level with the Tories at the moment is a genuinely terrible situation for Labour, given that their support is almost always over-estimated (particularly now in the light of them being under-estimated by pollsters in the last election and the over-compensation that's taking place).
    I still maintain that Corbyn's result last year was a misplaced and ill-thought-out protest vote against Brexit rather than any signal of a widespread acceptance of what we'll laughingly refer to his 'ideas'. I don't think most of the people who voted Labour last time thought for a minute it would mean a Corbyn government. Had they done so, I suspect things might have been different.
    It was also the worst election campaign I've ever seen from a Tory party - ever.

Those factors will be significantly different in any new election.

It's a movement because sufficient numbers of the brainwashed post-1975 generations have retained sufficient independence of mind to stick two fingers up to their masters rather than meekly doing as they're told. By doing so, those people shaped the outcome of the referendum just as much as the over-55s.
    I see no evidence of this fight back in the Leave vote and using it as an example is a huge logical stretch. I think the phenomenon you are describing (which I agree exists) is most evident in how few people under the age of 40 classify themselves as Conservative, let alone right wing or strongly Conservative, despite holding views that are traditionally associated with Conservatives.

If there is going to be a fight back, I would think our friend Jeremy and that appalling cretin McDonnell getting anywhere near power is more likely to trigger it.

Did you also see this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-study-corbyn

While reassuring, I do still worry about how many more of the 30-40 demographic (where the real surge came) will have been mobilised by Labour's social media efforts by the time of the next election.

Granted, I find it extraordinary the number of moderate, apparently sane and reasonable Labour moderates who will acknowledge all those things and still vote Labour. I despair at the blinkered stupidity, tribalism and narrow-mindedness it takes to behave like that. However, polling level with the Tories at the moment is a genuinely terrible situation for Labour, given that their support is almost always over-estimated (particularly now in the light of them being under-estimated by pollsters in the last election and the over-compensation that's taking place).
    I still maintain that Corbyn's result last year was a misplaced and ill-thought-out protest vote against Brexit rather than any signal of a widespread acceptance of what we'll laughingly refer to his 'ideas'. I don't think most of the people who voted Labour last time thought for a minute it would mean a Corbyn government. Had they done so, I suspect things might have been different.
    It was also the worst election campaign I've ever seen from a Tory party - ever.

Those factors will be significantly different in any new election.

One-track mind, I'm afraid :-(

BO's favourite general? Uranium from Mumbojumboland? The other stork brother and the priest? Probably all a coincidence

#ReleaseALLtheMemos

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It always is with you, isn't it?

I didn't know about Mr Stork's Africa connection btw. Though I had heard about the timing of his wife's promotion and the nixxing of the email investigation. Looks like the memo is going to be released today. D's in meltdown. I wonder what the British media will make of it, having apparently never heard of it so far? M16 man in US election interference shocker? Doubt it.
    Last edited by redgunamo; 02-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-study-corbyn

While reassuring, I do still worry about how many more of the 30-40 demographic (where the real surge came) will have been mobilised by Labour's social media efforts by the time of the next election.
    I did. Are we sure it was down to social media efforts? Only I would suggest that the surge from that generation - i.e. your generation - of middle-class lefty types is from the social demographic that's also the most notably angry and unforgiving about Brexit. That would seem to me to tally with my 'protest vote' theory.
    Last edited by Burney; 02-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.

I did. Are we sure it was down to social media efforts? Only I would suggest that the surge from that generation - i.e. your generation - of middle-class lefty types is from the social demographic that's also the most notably angry and unforgiving about Brexit. That would seem to me to tally with my 'protest vote' theory.
    Certainly, yes. But my suspicion is that many of these middle class lefty types were also largely politically disengaged *until* they were bombarded with anti-Brexit, anti-Tory memes on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Certainly, yes. But my suspicion is that many of these middle class lefty types were also largely politically disengaged *until* they were bombarded with anti-Brexit, anti-Tory memes on social media.
    I agree there's an element of that. How long it can be sustained, however, is another matter.

Your sister, for instance. She told you she was going to vote Corbyn. Would you say she's been radicalised?