Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was in Enfield town centre yesterday. They have clad the world's first ATM (or at

I was in Enfield town centre yesterday. They have clad the world's first ATM (or at

least the one that now sits in its place) in a weird sort of gold-effect metal to celebrate its status.

I couldn't escape the nagging feeling that there is something genuinely pathetic about this.

eca86bd9e0d11abd55ef0a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    least the one that now sits in its place) in a weird sort of gold-effect metal to celebrate its status.

I couldn't escape the nagging feeling that there is something genuinely pathetic about this.

The weirdest part about that picture is the pair of poor saps dressed up like toy soldiers. One feels obliged to ask, 'wtf?'

It's my boring trivia fact whenever I am in the area.
    I went in the Tescos near there the other day for the first time. Wasn't impressed smaller than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    It's my boring trivia fact whenever I am in the area.
    I went in the Tescos near there the other day for the first time. Wasn't impressed smaller than I thought.
    Of course Enfield's other major claim to fame was the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock, which produced such classics as the Martini-Henry, the Lee-Enfield .303, the Sten (Shepherd/Turpin/Enfield), the Bren (Brno/Enfield) and the L1A1 SLR.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-31-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Of course Enfield's other major claim to fame was the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock, which produced such classics as the Martini-Henry, the Lee-Enfield .303, the Sten (Shepherd/Turpin/Enfield), the Bren (Brno/Enfield) and the L1A1 SLR.
    Well there is Chas n Dave as well.

I am ashamed to say that I know how they both voted in the Brexit referendum- it was 1-1.

I spent a lovely day in a pub there. It had benches out the back in a real beer garden and there was ducks casually stroking around which itself was quite odd given the rather enhanced frame of mind I was in. Gordon Hill direction at a guess.

The 29 bus then more or less took me straight home.

Wd Enfield.

I also played football there once, Enfield Lock. During the game I was verbally racially abused, an incident which caused a multi-person mill up.

Poor show Enfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Well there is Chas n Dave as well.

I am ashamed to say that I know how they both voted in the Brexit referendum- it was 1-1.
    One of them - I forget which - now lives in a proper gypsy caravan in the woods near Newgate Street and drinks in the Coach and Horses.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I spent a lovely day in a pub there. It had benches out the back in a real beer garden and there was ducks casually stroking around which itself was quite odd given the rather enhanced frame of mind I was in. Gordon Hill direction at a guess.

The 29 bus then more or less took me straight home.

Wd Enfield.

I also played football there once, Enfield Lock. During the game I was verbally racially abused, an incident which caused a multi-person mill up.

Poor show Enfield.
    Yeah, Sunday football in Enfield and Cheshunt was always a hotbed of racism. My team was full of asians and greeks and there was a fair amount of unpleasantness every week.

I was once at a five a Side competition Where one black team got the most appalling abuse in every game. We were the only side that shook their hand at the end of a game. It was sickening.

Ho hum...

One of them - I forget which - now lives in a proper gypsy caravan in the woods near Newgate Street and drinks in the Coach and Horses.
    That's Dave. Nice fella. Bit quiet, and you dont want to get him started on politics.

Actually, you might quite enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Yeah, Sunday football in Enfield and Cheshunt was always a hotbed of racism. My team was full of asians and greeks and there was a fair amount of unpleasantness every week.

I was once at a five a Side competition Where one black team got the most appalling abuse in every game. We were the only side that shook their hand at the end of a game. It was sickening.

Ho hum...
    I'd say if you played a team in Enfield these days you'd be lucky to see a white face. So that's that problem solved, I suppose.