Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesut stays after all, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well the befefits are four-fold, really.

1. We had created a squad with a CL wage structure. Now that we look highly likely to be without CL football for several years, cuts need to be made to keep the club's financial health sound.

2. We get rid of players that have no interest in being at the club.

3. We've got rid of deadwood in Coqulein and Walcott, got rid of players with appauling attitudes (Alexis) and replaced with Mikitahyrian who is quality.

4. It frees up wage budget to get Ozil to stay because we were likely unable to meet his wage demands prior to that.
    You are funny
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    You are funny
    I appreciate that these are harsh realities and quite agree that humour is often a good way to face them.

I appreciate that these are harsh realities and quite agree that humour is often a good way to face them.
    So increased commercial revenue, increased tv/broadcasting money doesn't help... I know lets sell all of our players and we can make a nice huge profit and save buckeyloads on wages.

I dispair if the club doesn't aim to get nearer the top of the league by investing in better players
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

So increased commercial revenue, increased tv/broadcasting money doesn't help... I know lets sell all of our players and we can make a nice huge profit and save buckeyloads on wages.

I dispair if the club doesn't aim to get nearer the top of the league by investing in better players
    If....January were to end with Sanchez swapped for this whatever his name is, Ozil and Jack signing new deals and nobody else arriving.... that would actually be pretty good wouldn't it? Far, far better than it could have been.

and of course, Theo has gone.

We are not realistically going to achieve much this season so the rebuild would be in the summer. Naturally, this rebuild wont take place but lets say it might, it still makes the January itself not bad.

I shall reserve comment until the transfer window "slams shut". I am definitely warming to the idea of replacing Alexis with the Armenian chap. Getting the Dortmund fella would be somewhat of a coup as well.

Been nice to get Evans, purely because I can actually spell his name

Oh, me too. As I fan I don't really care about the accounts (other than ensuring the club doesn't go bust). However, there is absolutely overwhelming evidence that the board have zero appetite to invest at all, let alone to the extent to get us challenging City and United. Even I agree that the latter is not realistic.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that Kronke is a business man. it is not worth spending £500million on the asset that is Arsenal FC when he will not get anywhere near that sort of money back on his investment, especially given that he doesn't own anywhere near 100% of the club.

We must remember - he is not a fan, he is an investor.

Oh, me too. As I fan I don't really care about the accounts (other than ensuring the club doesn't go bust). However, there is absolutely overwhelming evidence that the board have zero appetite to invest at all, let alone to the extent to get us challenging City and United. Even I agree that the latter is not realistic.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that Kronke is a business man. it is not worth spending £500million on the asset that is Arsenal FC when he will not get anywhere near that sort of money back on his investment, especially given that he doesn't own anywhere near 100% of the club.

We must remember - he is not a fan, he is an investor.
    I dont think there is overwhelming evidence that the board wont invest at all. I think there is overwhelming evidence that they have spent a fair bit. Considerably less than the three big spenders, yes, but in some summers it has been substantial.

The problem is that spending money over the last 3-4 years has not made a blind bit of difference. If anything, we have got worse. I see no real reason to think that throwing more money into mix is going to help.

I think we all know what needs to happen, or at least part of what needs to happen......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I dont think there is overwhelming evidence that the board wont invest at all. I think there is overwhelming evidence that they have spent a fair bit. Considerably less than the three big spenders, yes, but in some summers it has been substantial.

The problem is that spending money over the last 3-4 years has not made a blind bit of difference. If anything, we have got worse. I see no real reason to think that throwing more money into mix is going to help.

I think we all know what needs to happen, or at least part of what needs to happen......
    I was referring to investing their own money into players like City and Chelsea do. United and to a lesser extent Liverpool are exceptions as they make ridiculous sums of commercial revenue.

Well the befefits are four-fold, really.

1. We had created a squad with a CL wage structure. Now that we look highly likely to be without CL football for several years, cuts need to be made to keep the club's financial health sound.

2. We get rid of players that have no interest in being at the club.

3. We've got rid of deadwood in Coqulein and Walcott, got rid of players with appauling attitudes (Alexis) and replaced with Mikitahyrian who is quality.

4. It frees up wage budget to get Ozil to stay because we were likely unable to meet his wage demands prior to that.
    I appreciate money has been freed up by Walcott and Coquelin however I doubt we will succumb to whatever Ozil’s wage request is at this stage as we are simply too principled and business orientated to do so.

Where you have specifically said “unable”, I suggest the correct word is “unwilling”.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I appreciate money has been freed up by Walcott and Coquelin however I doubt we will succumb to whatever Ozil’s wage request is at this stage as we are simply too principled and business orientated to do so.

Where you have specifically said “unable”, I suggest the correct word is “unwilling”.
    I will concede you that. Perhaps I went for 'unable' as it makes me less irritated with the club as a whole.

If this continues I will have to find a new club to support.