Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monty's mum when she found out her grandson would be going to a CofE school

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    All faith schools have to allow a certain number of kids from other faiths (or no faith).

It works on a points system, based on how close to the school you live and your attendance levels at a respective place of worship.
    So did you actually try for the Jewish place and not get in or did you just get more points for the C of E place/it was closer, etc? Or did you actively decide against it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So did you actually try for the Jewish place and not get in or did you just get more points for the C of E place/it was closer, etc? Or did you actively decide against it?
    I would never send him to a Jewish school. Those truly are places of indoctrination.

Sending him to a CofE school still makes me do a bit of sick in my mouth, but at least it is all light touch and based almost entirely around Christian 'values' rather than any supernatural ****e.

Our decision was between the non-faith school round the corner and the CofE school, and the latter is demonstrably the better school

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Surely not?

How the fúck can a person vouch for their attendance.
    Catholic schools are terrible for it, literally have to go and shake the priest's hand after every service to ensure he doesn't tell the school you're not worthy.

One of many reasons I wouldn't send my kids to a Catholic school, main one being I'm not Catholic

Non attendance of Church by my Ma and Pa stopped me getting Christened when small and wee
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

I would never send him to a Jewish school. Those truly are places of indoctrination.

Sending him to a CofE school still makes me do a bit of sick in my mouth, but at least it is all light touch and based almost entirely around Christian 'values' rather than any supernatural ****e.

Our decision was between the non-faith school round the corner and the CofE school, and the latter is demonstrably the better school
    I have a major issue with all faith schools, tbh. Not because I am one of these tedious atheist types, but because I've always felt that their very existence is a tacit admission by the various religions that they are very much in the business of brainwashing children with their nonsense and I really don't believe that ought to be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Non attendance of Church by my Ma and Pa stopped me getting Christened when small and wee
    Never stopped me getting baptised, but as Monty Python put it:

I'm a Roman Catholic,
    And have been since before I was born,
    And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
    They'll take you as soon as you're warm

I have a major issue with all faith schools, tbh. Not because I am one of these tedious atheist types, but because I've always felt that their very existence is a tacit admission by the various religions that they are very much in the business of brainwashing children with their nonsense and I really don't believe that ought to be allowed.
    As I said, I think this is the case in Jewish faith schools (and certainly Islamic faith schools). But my impression having visited two CofE schools is that the religious aspects of the school are based almost entirely around values and culture. In fact, as the last school I toured, I saw more posters and literature promoting "British values" (a Michael Gove initiative) than anything explicitly religious.

I didn't go to a faith school but we still had prayer assemblies each morning

As I said, I think this is the case in Jewish faith schools (and certainly Islamic faith schools). But my impression having visited two CofE schools is that the religious aspects of the school are based almost entirely around values and culture. In fact, as the last school I toured, I saw more posters and literature promoting "British values" (a Michael Gove initiative) than anything explicitly religious.

I didn't go to a faith school but we still had prayer assemblies each morning
    Oh prayers and hymns are fine. Indeed, they used to be mandatory. However, that's just a bit of fun - nothing really to do with spooky god nonsense - very different to indoctrination becoming part of the curriculum.

Presumably, the indoctrination in Jewish schools is of the 'How to control international finance and media in order to subjugate the goyim' type?

Oh prayers and hymns are fine. Indeed, they used to be mandatory. However, that's just a bit of fun - nothing really to do with spooky god nonsense - very different to indoctrination becoming part of the curriculum.

Presumably, the indoctrination in Jewish schools is of the 'How to control international finance and media in order to subjugate the goyim' type?
    Well bear in mind we are talking about Primary School. They do have RE lessons, but I don't think they can veer too far from the curriculum without getting into serious trouble.

The dangers of faith schools come in Secondary School, where schools have created a very sinister loophole whereby certain lessons (e.g. sex education) are not inspected by an Ofsted inspector, but someone who is effectively appointed by the school itself. This gives them the leeway to basically teach anything they like to kids about sex (and we can well imagine what they get taught at Islamic schools) with impunity.