Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monty's mum when she found out her grandson would be going to a CofE school

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I have a major issue with all faith schools, tbh. Not because I am one of these tedious atheist types, but because I've always felt that their very existence is a tacit admission by the various religions that they are very much in the business of brainwashing children with their nonsense and I really don't believe that ought to be allowed.
    Properly looked at, the real brainwashing ought to happen at home. I mean, a redgunamo will grow up a redgunamo, regardless of what any schoolteachers say. It's just as valuable for my boys to spend the day with me out coursing or playing video games or in the pub. I'm responsible for them, not whichever jumped up borstal they waste their days away at.

But now nobody has the time or the inclination to actually raise their children, so schools get to be more influential. Increasingly, parents use their kids' education to virtue-signal and to avoid admitting that they've f-ed up.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I have a major issue with all faith schools, tbh. Not because I am one of these tedious atheist types, but because I've always felt that their very existence is a tacit admission by the various religions that they are very much in the business of brainwashing children with their nonsense and I really don't believe that ought to be allowed.
    Its not a faith school, its Church Of England. God is barely even an optional extra in the CofE these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its not a faith school, its Church Of England. God is barely even an optional extra in the CofE these days.
    Well they're enough of a faith to be filthy heretics bound for the lowest pits of hell, p.

Dirty, protestant bāstards.

Well they're enough of a faith to be filthy heretics bound for the lowest pits of hell, p.

Didn't you go to a CofE school, b? I mean, I did as well - at least it meant I could opt out of assemblies in sixth form as they had a religious element

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Didn't you go to a CofE school, b? I mean, I did as well - at least it meant I could opt out of assemblies in sixth form as they had a religious element
    Why would you want to opt out of assemblies? Surely everyone loves a good sing-song, don't they?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I went to a public school founded by a post-reformation Archbishop of Canterbury whose religious observances - such as they were - were high-church Anglican, but it wasn't a C of E school as such.

And I loved assemblies. All the masters in gowns and, lots of hymn singing and the music master thumping away sweatily at his mighty organ - marvellous!

I still find myself singing C of E hymns. So much better than all those dreary Catholic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Why would you want to opt out of assemblies? Surely everyone loves a good sing-song, don't they?
    The only decent one I can remember is when the headmaster read out the cricket score from India as both Gatting and Fowler had scored double centuries

Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    One of many reasons I wouldn't send my kids to a Catholic school, main one being I'm not Catholic
    You might as well send 'em to a Madrassa, on the indoctrination front.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Well bear in mind we are talking about Primary School. They do have RE lessons, but I don't think they can veer too far from the curriculum without getting into serious trouble.

The dangers of faith schools come in Secondary School, where schools have created a very sinister loophole whereby certain lessons (e.g. sex education) are not inspected by an Ofsted inspector, but someone who is effectively appointed by the school itself. This gives them the leeway to basically teach anything they like to kids about sex (and we can well imagine what they get taught at Islamic schools) with impunity.
    Yes, yes, but what about the controlling international finance and media bit? Tell us how that works.