Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A 'Conservative' British PM has appointed a Minister for Loneliness?

Yes, I saw that and it made me giggle, but I don't think he really had the

opportunity to "tear her apart".

It was a grotesque miss-match, not just of intellect, but of intention, and was never going to go anywhere interesting. A pien pensant and one of the world's great thinkers simply talking past each other.

I found it totally cringe-inducing, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Have you seen the full video of Jordan Peterson tearing that awful C4 news person Cathy Newman apart? It really is rather joyous watching a lefty posturer get both barrels from a serious, serious intellect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxS...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Why, are you going to?

No-one else has after the last two shítshows. A Rubicon has been crossed, for the last remaining loyalists it feels.

Except you and Nicosia, perhaps?
    Talk to me in May. We're only 4 points off the yíd****s

But seriously, things *could* still be ok if we managed to keep Ozil and bought that Amabongobongo coloured chap from Dortmund. He looked shít hot against Spurs earlier in the season.
    Last edited by Monty92; 01-17-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    opportunity to "tear her apart".

It was a grotesque miss-match, not just of intellect, but of intention, and was never going to go anywhere interesting. A pien pensant and one of the world's great thinkers simply talking past each other.

I found it totally cringe-inducing, to be honest.
    Well it was more watching her wither in the sheer glare of his intelligence and fall apart, I suppose. Nonetheless, I felt it was a salutary lesson in the intellectual vacuum at the heart of so many left-wing certainties. You could have put someone far cleverer than Cathy Newman in to champion those ideas and the result would have been the same because the ideas don't stand up to intellectual scrutiny.

And just because it's a mismatch doesn't mean it's not worth doing. The important thing is that these ideas - which are considered unquestionable truths in bien-pensant circles (transgenderism, limits on free speech to avoid 'offence'; the gender pay gap, etc) actually got put to the test by a brilliant analytic intelligence in a public forum and were found wanting. It is vitally important that this happens more.

Well it was more watching her wither in the sheer glare of his intelligence and fall apart, I suppose. Nonetheless, I felt it was a salutary lesson in the intellectual vacuum at the heart of so many left-wing certainties. You could have put someone far cleverer than Cathy Newman in to champion those ideas and the result would have been the same because the ideas don't stand up to intellectual scrutiny.

And just because it's a mismatch doesn't mean it's not worth doing. The important thing is that these ideas - which are considered unquestionable truths in bien-pensant circles (transgenderism, limits on free speech to avoid 'offence'; the gender pay gap, etc) actually got put to the test by a brilliant analytic intelligence in a public forum and were found wanting. It is vitally important that this happens more.
    I see what you mean, but are the people who need to hear it actually listening?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Hmmmm! Sadly I think replacing Newman with a broadcaster from the right would have made little difference. I don't necessarily see the fault lines in political terms. More about an openness to ideas, or lack thereof. And that is a problem on the left and the right.

John Snow is a fúcking ****, though. Did you hear him at the end? Bemoaning the fact that the interview went on for so long, presumably because it bored him. Imagine that? Channel 4 lands an interview with one of the world's greatest living thinkers, and the anchor - one of the doyens of British political broadcasting - says it bored him.

That is what I found depressing.

But seriously, things *could* still be ok if we managed to keep Ozil and bought that Amabongobongo coloured chap from Dortmund. He looked shít hot against Spurs earlier in the season.
    Probably need to define that specific "ok".

What the fur-lined fùck is going on with these fücking cretins?

How about a Minister for Growing Up? Or a Minister for Having a Pint of Harden the Fück Up? Or a Minister for Fücking Well Pulling Yourself Together, You Fücking Little Nancy?

Fückssake.
    it is a little bit 'Director of Better' innit

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Probably need to define that specific "ok".
    Within a few points of the Spurs, Liverpool, etc. No reason why we should be doing any better.

Hmmmm! Sadly I think replacing Newman with a broadcaster from the right would have made little difference. I don't necessarily see the fault lines in political terms. More about an openness to ideas, or lack thereof. And that is a problem on the left and the right.

John Snow is a fúcking ****, though. Did you hear him at the end? Bemoaning the fact that the interview went on for so long, presumably because it bored him. Imagine that? Channel 4 lands an interview with one of the world's greatest living thinkers, and the anchor - one of the doyens of British political broadcasting - says it bored him.

That is what I found depressing.
    To be honest, I found it refreshing to hear ideas properly explored at all in that context. I do wonder, however, if Newman had actually researched Peterson at all. She seemed to go into it thinking he was just some alt-right knucklehead she could sneer at and make look bad. Her desperate floundering, recourse to repetition of platitudes and misattributing quotes to him suggested she had no idea what she was dealing with before she started.

Jon Snow being a cünt is hardly news. He's a hard-left relic who is well overdue for retirement.

5 points to be exact.... with a team that only needs to play PL games so can't use Europe as an excuse, while all the sides above us have been playing full strength sides in Europe, score more goals than us and defend better than us.

Yep, nothing to complain about... oh, and our 2 best players might well be leaving for nothing and we have offered a pay cut to our most creative midfield player.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar