Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I believe we are offering Wilshere a pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    As I say, if he doesn't, what are we paying him for then.
    To do what his manager asks of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    ".. can book the acts but He can't tell the acrobats which way to jump."
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

".. can book the acts but He can't tell the acrobats which way to jump."
    You can lay down some informal guidelines....

None of us know what the manager is asking him to do.

The fact that Wenger appears unable to create a sustainable functioning midfield hints at issues beyond the personnel.

One could argue the most functional and mutually beneficial partnership he has had in a decade or so was one that he arrived upon by complete and utter fluke as opposed to design and player management.

We can go round in circles all we want on midfield, then defence probably and have individual opinion on player’s ability and partnerships, I think the issue still comes down to the man at the top.

Chris Coleman at Wales was able to tactically take advantage of Ramsey’s strengths as a player and harness them into him being one of the reported stand out performers at the Euros, yet the same player comes back to N5 and many then argue he has no clue how to play.

Have you bought Theo yet?
    Yes, I look forward to meeting him.

and telling him that he really could have been so much better

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    None of us know what the manager is asking him to do.

The fact that Wenger appears unable to create a sustainable functioning midfield hints at issues beyond the personnel.

One could argue the most functional and mutually beneficial partnership he has had in a decade or so was one that he arrived upon by complete and utter fluke as opposed to design and player management.

We can go round in circles all we want on midfield, then defence probably and have individual opinion on player’s ability and partnerships, I think the issue still comes down to the man at the top.

Chris Coleman at Wales was able to tactically take advantage of Ramsey’s strengths as a player and harness them into him being one of the reported stand out performers at the Euros, yet the same player comes back to N5 and many then argue he has no clue how to play.
    Yes, Coleman had the advantage of not having anybody better. Ramsey was allowed to play further forward where he is generally more effective/less dangerous.

I am in complete agreement re where the problem lies. We all know it. However, within that context I think when you look at the quality of players the midfield is where suffer. Nobody doubts that we have two decent strikers, and two decent players in Sanchez and Ozil. Not a lot wrong with our first choice centre backs or full backs, and our goalkeeper is ok unless you give away a penalty.

It is in that central midfield where we genuinely lack the right quality and balance. I dont think anyone would honestly describe Elneny as a world beater and Xhaka has put in some shocking performances..... that leaves the good (Jack), the bad (Ramsey) and the ugly (Cazorla, who is dead).

Put anyone in charge and they need to sign a midfielder......

Put anyone in charge and they need to sign a midfielder......
    And to think that for years AW was panned for collecting technical midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And to think that for years AW was panned for collecting technical midfielders.
    Precisely. Not proper ones.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

You can lay down some informal guidelines....
    Aren't you chaps always arguing that the guidelines are too informal by half already? Make up your minds, please.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Yes, I look forward to meeting him.

and telling him that he really could have been so much better
    Yes, that's just about the right balance, I reckon. Just don't let Big Sam hear you