Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe we are offering Wilshere a pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    He didn't say he couldn't play - he said he couldn't play in midfield. And given that he is 27 years old and we have yet to see him ever prove that he could play there, it seems a fair view imo.
    Surely depends on what your view of a midfield player is It seems he carries out instructions form his manager to a tee, scores plenty of goals and covers the ground better than others in that position. Seems to me that he can play midfield but perhaps the other players around him are the ones that need changing?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    you've got to admire The Arsenal's balls on this one.
    Could only be bettered by a 'pay as you play' contract.
    I believe it sort of is, if he stays fit then the contract will actually be a considerable improvement on his current one

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I believe it sort of is, if he stays fit then the contract will actually be a considerable improvement on his current one
    Have you bought Theo yet?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Surely depends on what your view of a midfield player is It seems he carries out instructions form his manager to a tee, scores plenty of goals and covers the ground better than others in that position. Seems to me that he can play midfield but perhaps the other players around him are the ones that need changing?
    His average over the past 3 seasons in the league is 4 goals and 3.7 assists per season, that is a rather generous definition of 'plenty'. And given that he has shown himself to be an utter liability defensively (I point you to the 4-0 defeat at Liverpool as one of many examples) if he isn't scoring them or creating them, what use is he?

And if by 'covers the ground better than others' you mean he endlessly pushes forward regardless of the situation and is slow to track back, then I agree with you. There are those that would question that this is a good thing, however. Me among them.

His average over the past 3 seasons in the league is 4 goals and 3.7 assists per season, that is a rather generous definition of 'plenty'. And given that he has shown himself to be an utter liability defensively (I point you to the 4-0 defeat at Liverpool as one of many examples) if he isn't scoring them or creating them, what use is he?

And if by 'covers the ground better than others' you mean he endlessly pushes forward regardless of the situation and is slow to track back, then I agree with you. There are those that would question that this is a good thing, however. Me among them.
    How many games has he played over that 3 season stat list? The Liverpool game you mention ( and this point has been poiinted out on TV) was that he was receiving instructions from the bench while the defensive cock up was happening. Not tracking back is certainly a less of a problem with him as it is with GX, who seems to let anyone who wants to run off him do it.
    He pushes forward as that is what he has been instructed to do by AW, certainly during the second half of games.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Come now Pedro, a modicum of restraint here please coupled with some sort of knowledge of the game and/or position.

Ramsey is either playing with a) no tactical restriction or instruction or b) playing with no tactical restriction or instruction within a midfield combination which is devoid of order or balance.

To say he simply cannot play is a nonsense.
    He is playing with the same tactical restriction or instruction as anyone else. That is not entirely relevant anyway. He refuses to play in midfield, or at least in either of the deeper central roles, because he does not want the ball from the back four and hates receiving it under pressure.

Once Ozil leaves Ramsey may well be fine in a role further forward. THat really doesnt help us with the two deeper roles which are clearly the problem, and where Jack is clearly the best option.

I hope that clarifies the situation as I see it. Happy to provide further information but I shall not be trading any mudslinging of the 'who knows best' variety.

He covers plenty of ground, just not the ground he is supposed to be actually covering.

Not entirely his fault, he is just not suited to that role.

scores a goal every 7 PL games, gets a goal or assist on average every 3 and a bit games... seems that those are not bad stats for a midfield player

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He covers plenty of ground, just not the ground he is supposed to be actually covering.

Not entirely his fault, he is just not suited to that role.
    It's easy to work hard at things you're not actually supposed to be doing?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    It's easy to work hard at things you're not actually supposed to be doing?
    Definitely.

Much easier than working hard at things you are supposed to be doing.