Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: We used to cream our pants when Freddie and Bobby P scored 15 a season from out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Dunno. If players see a referee isn't going to punish them to commit fouls, it will embolden them to commit more and worse fouls. I think United got that sense after a couple of the early 'reducers' on JAR went unpunished and it got worse from there. Equally, linesmen will take their lead from the ref.

In short, I don't believe the game was bent because 'cui bono?' I do, however, believe that Riley was biased (consciously or unconsciously) against Arsenal and refereed accordingly. Still disgraceful, but not 'bent' in the sense of there being a conspiracy.

What I did find extraordinary, though, was the determination of the media to largely ignore the appalling refereeing of such a big game. I can only conclude that this was because they realised most of their audience (and football more widely) wanted Arsenal to lose and so they didn't want to question the legitimacy of that result by pointing out that it was probably the most dreadfully biased and incompetent refereeing display in the history of the Premier League.
    In those days it was clear to me that The Arsenal were being punished because they hired a "Frenchman" and he had a team with the temerity to challenge "one of our own", AF and MU. AW was monikered "The Frenchman" in every news article. NOt so much any more, but it was very real then.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    .....huge bulk of the media that was pro United and pro Ferguson, or at least too scared to criticise him/them.

There it is. Fergie had the media in his pocket. If he didn't like them, he wouldn't talk to them and he banned them from attending press conference. Interestingly, this is a tactic Apple use to launch or sell their brand.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Too easy. I'd insist on him being made to confess his crimes in front of a public show trial before being executed by Arsenal players past and present putting 'competitive' challenges into him until he dies. It should only take a day or so.

Personally, I'd start by peeling layers of skin off him one at a time, pull his hair out a few strands at a time (better get a move on on that one) and then proceed with the sword of damocles inching ever close to him at a very slow rate. Shouldn't take more than a month or two.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    In those days it was clear to me that The Arsenal were being punished because they hired a "Frenchman" and he had a team with the temerity to challenge "one of our own", AF and MU. AW was monikered "The Frenchman" in every news article. NOt so much any more, but it was very real then.
    It's just how we are, Chief; we don't particularly mean anything by it*. Ferguson is always referred to as the "Scot", by the press too.

*Although, it's complicated; A Briton calling someone French is almost certainly intended as a mild insult. However, equally, said Frenchman would proudly accept it as a generous compliment, coming from a Briton.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."