Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We used to cream our pants when Freddie and Bobby P scored 15 a season from out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    But shouldn't we move on? No one was angrier than I, no one remains as bitter and twisted as I (well, maybe IUFG) but surely we should get over this? I mean, it really isn't healthy.
    I will always be bitter and twisted whilst that **** is still involved in the professional game.

That fact that he is still highly influential in the game boils my piss.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I will always be bitter and twisted whilst that **** is still involved in the professional game.

That fact that he is still highly influential in the game boils my piss.
    That game ought to have ended - or at least severely damaged - his career as a top-flight referee. That he not only didn't suffer, but actually prospered is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That game ought to have ended - or at least severely damaged - his career as a top-flight referee. That he not only didn't suffer, but actually prospered is a disgrace.
    Important to remember that it wasnt just that game. His refereeing at Old Trafford was infamous throughout the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Important to remember that it wasnt just that game. His refereeing at Old Trafford was infamous throughout the game.
    Yes, but that big a game with that much scrutiny on it. Logically, he should have been working harder than ever to display less bias than usual. But not our Mike. Oh, no.

Jesus christ chaps, it is over a decade ago.

Let it go. No good will come of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Jesus christ chaps, it is over a decade ago.

Let it go. No good will come of this.
    No offence, sw, but an Irishman telling you not to nurture an ancient grievance is like a Welshman telling you not to have sex with farmyard animals.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-16-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think we would get over it if it was ever accepted that it happened. It continues to eat at people because it was roundly ignored.

THe problem with your argument is that Cole's challenge was a yellow card. A fairly soft one, but a deliberate kick with no attempt to play the ball. You are highlighting about the only decision Riley got right in the whole game!

I think it is incredibly generous to think that United's approach to that game was accidental, or opportunist. Particularly having seen them do it time and time again against us at Old Trafford (never at Highbury) and had seen it work pretty much all the time. Vieira's sending off, the soft penalty, the game in 2002 when Van Nistelrooy came on for twenty minutes and, if I remember correctly, committed two blatant red card offences (one a punch in Frieddie's chest right in front of the ref) and at least three other yellow card offences and not get so much as a booking.
    I never said it was accidental, I said I don't think that they expected Riley to cheat, I think they discovered that he was cheating once the game started and acted accordingly.

They clearly targeted Reyes as a group and I would be surprised if there wasn't some direction from the manager there. Nice comparison to the FA Cup game there where they did the same thing, came out kicking us all over the pitch. Jeff Winter immediately pulled out the cards, the game settled down and we played football and won 2-0.

Still think we should move on, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I never said it was accidental, I said I don't think that they expected Riley, I think they discovered that he was cheating once the game started and acted accordingly.

They clearly targeted Reyes as a group and I would be surprised if there wasn't some direction from the manager there. Nice comparison to the FA Cup game there where they did the same thing, came out kicking us all over the pitch. Jeff Winter immediately pulled out the cards, the game settled down and we played football and won 2-0.

Still think we should move on, mind.
    When did football fans ever 'move on'? It's just not what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    When did football fans ever 'move on'? It's just not what they do.
    We as a nation moved on from Henry's handball.

Well some of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    We as a nation moved on from Henry's handball.

Well some of us did.
    Let me guess: the Arsenal-supporting ones did? The others not so much?