Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Like I said the other day, we need change for change’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Something like that. I wouldn't claim any great perceptiveness in it. We could all feel the thing had drifted.

Calling for Wenger's head 10 years ago was crazy, though. We were financially constrained and yet in 2008 we could easily have won the league. I still believe that Eduardo doesn't get crippled and we win that season.
    I'm not sure the idea that the jig was up really had anything to do with finances. Anyway, Wenger's trick had always been to make 5 million-pound players look like 50 million-pound ones, and not t'other way about
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I don't believe he had no other football options. I dunno if he even cares about the money. What does he spend it on?

"Every decision I take is taken in the interests of this football club" or words to that effect. Does he generally believe that no-one else could do a better job, or is he consciously bullsh1tting, I wonder?
    I think it's complicated by the fact that he now knows that leaving Arsenal effectively means retiring. He's 70 next year. No big club is going to take him on in a full managerial role at his age. So if he goes, what's he going to? I don't think he has any other interests.

I don't believe he had no other football options. I dunno if he even cares about the money. What does he spend it on?

"Every decision I take is taken in the interests of this football club" or words to that effect. Does he generally believe that no-one else could do a better job, or is he consciously bullsh1tting, I wonder?
    No, it's a fair point. Who else is doing better with our sort of spending?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

He did spend quite a lot of the money. He gave it all to some fairly average players.
    Yes, but he spent it on mid-priced players with the idea that he could turn them into stars. He couldn't.

I think we underestimated the extent to which he actually enjoyed the years of having to get by on a shoestring. I think he took great pride in being able to achieve what he did with very little money. The problem is that, when he finally had money, he either didn't really know how to spend it or (and this is my suspicion) just didn't want to because that isn't how he liked to work.
    Right. After all, not spending much is the thing that got Him the job in the first place. And the thing that's kept Him there.

I think we underestimated the extent to which he actually enjoyed the years of having to get by on a shoestring. I think he took great pride in being able to achieve what he did with very little money. The problem is that, when he finally had money, he either didn't really know how to spend it or (and this is my suspicion) just didn't want to because that isn't how he liked to work.
    Yes, that is probably true. Changing one's modus operandi can be quite hard when the mind is set in stone. One can easily lose perspective. If it is his choice to operate this way, he should have gone. Our recruitment has been pretty ordinary and we have produced very little from the youth system. Not a good recipe for progress imo
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, it's a fair point. Who else is doing better with our sort of spending?
    Tottenham.

I think it's complicated by the fact that he now knows that leaving Arsenal effectively means retiring. He's 70 next year. No big club is going to take him on in a full managerial role at his age. So if he goes, what's he going to? I don't think he has any other interests.
    He should write that book. Or invest all his time and money into an academic study of referees.

Watch Michael Mann movies and cry at the end as a mortally wounded Robert De Niro offers offers his killer, Al Pacino, the hand of friendship?

After years of PSG chasing him, why didn't they get him last summer when they finished 2nd and Wenger was out of contract? Perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

Perhaps my statement should have read, "better options"
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman