Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Like I said the other day, we need change for change’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Thing is, it's not an ideological question on which one has to take sides anymore. It's a purely pragmatic consideration. Wenger set CL qualification as the minimum benchmark by which to judge him and we finished outside the top 4 last season. We are now on course to finish outside the top 4 again, so by his own definition he is failing in his role. What alternative is there but to change managers?
    This is why I was wondering if he is considering his position, or how bad it would have to get for him to do so. His recent comments about going nowhere in the summer were not those of a man at home to Mr Humility. However arrogant Mourinho is, at least he is aware of his own mortality, p45-istically. Arsene seemingly feels accountable to no-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    When did he say that we did?

Isn't that why he left Awimb back in the day? Lots of arguments between him and the rest of Awimb on Arsenal's ability to win the league.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Someone from the press should ask him if there any threshold of performance and failure at which he would resign. Is there any threshold at which 'honouring' his contract is not in the best interests of the football club? Could another manager get more out of these players?

When I heard the rumour that Ancelotti was available at the end of the season I thought 'yes, please'. Right now I'd like him to start tomorrow.
    Performances hasn't been the issue for years though; that's where we (the supporters) are all going wrong.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

That's what I thought last season, though. And here we are.
    Still in the Reindeer cup and the Europa league and will still finish Top 6, might as well let him ride out the season and that gives us time to find a decent replacement

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The other day, eh?

Try "the other decade"
    I think it's a little contrived to look back at the period since 2004 and see it as a process of managed decline. It certainly didn't always feel that way. With the advantage of hindsight, I suppose one could say that the point at which it was really all over was after we sold Fabregas and van Persie in successive seasons. That was the final acknowledgement that Wenger's attempt to build a third great side on the cheap had failed.
    However, we were buoyed up by finishing paying for the stadium and the promised riches and influx of top players, etc and hoped for the best, so him staying on for that was understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Still in the Reindeer cup and the Europa league and will still finish Top 6, might as well let him ride out the season and that gives us time to find a decent replacement
    If he stays it will just get worse.

This is why I was wondering if he is considering his position, or how bad it would have to get for him to do so. His recent comments about going nowhere in the summer were not those of a man at home to Mr Humility. However arrogant Mourinho is, at least he is aware of his own mortality, p45-istically. Arsene seemingly feels accountable to no-one.
    If he isn't considering his position, someone ought to be telling him to do so. My worry is that - with Kroenke being an absentee landlord - nobody at the club has the authority to do so.

I think it's a little contrived to look back at the period since 2004 and see it as a process of managed decline. It certainly didn't always feel that way. With the advantage of hindsight, I suppose one could say that the point at which it was really all over was after we sold Fabregas and van Persie in successive seasons. That was the final acknowledgement that Wenger's attempt to build a third great side on the cheap had failed.
    However, we were buoyed up by finishing paying for the stadium and the promised riches and influx of top players, etc and hoped for the best, so him staying on for that was understandable.
    Remarkable prescience on your part, I called it. You sensed that something was just wrong, even though nobody was really interested in exploring what it might be, back then.

Actually, do I mean "perceptiveness "?
    Last edited by redgunamo; 01-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    ... might as well let him ride out the season and that gives us time to find a decent replacement
    oh, that will happen alright.

LA Rams out of the play offs last week - will Stan lift his head up to see how Arsenal are getting on? Not a ****ing chance.

I am resigned to the fact that Wenger will also be in charge next season.

What a sorry ****ing situation.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Remarkable prescience on your part, I called it. You sensed that something was just wrong, even though nobody was really interested in exploring what it might be, back then.

Actually, do I mean "perceptiveness "?
    Oh, I see. I'd forgotten that. In fairness, it would have seemed unbelievably harsh to get rid of Wenger in 2012/13 when he'd just got us through a hugely difficult financial situation while qualifying for the CL every year, etc. However, those are the sort of harsh decisions that truly ambitious clubs take when they believe someone has taken them as far as they can.