Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do we believe the Ancelotti rumours? This summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think it is more about further redefining success. Failure, of course, is simply not an option.
    A decent definition of professionalism, that. Perhaps not inspiring enough for many though.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I think it is more about further redefining success. Failure, of course, is simply not an option.
    A decade or so in mid-table would certainly redefine the 'lack' of success of the hated 4th place trophy.

Well it seems to have been an option for a few years now. After all, we can only judge AW on the high standards he himself has set and by those standards, the last decade or so has been a failure.

I realised the other day that in 2022 it will be the same length of time between league wins as between 1971 and 1989. That's only four years away now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    A decade or so in mid-table would certainly redefine the 'lack' of success of the hated 4th place trophy.
    If you care to define mid-table as "not winning the league" then arguably we've already been there for a decade.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well it seems to have been an option for a few years now. After all, we can only judge AW on the high standards he himself has set and by those standards, the last decade or so has been a failure.

I realised the other day that in 2022 it will be the same length of time between league wins as between 1971 and 1989. That's only four years away now.
    We had six or seven managers between '71 and '89, didn't we. That's something of an issue, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    If you care to define mid-table as "not winning the league" then arguably we've already been there for a decade.
    Well, I don't. I've never gone with the 91 losers approach.

We had six or seven managers between '71 and '89, didn't we. That's something of an issue, I suppose.
    Four, I think. Mee, Neill, Howe and Graham.

I'm assuming we're not counting Steve Burtenshaw's illustrious 11-game reign?

Four full-time ones: Mee, Neill, Howe, Graham

Only two more since as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Well, I don't. I've never gone with the 91 losers approach.
    What's that then?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Four, I think. Mee, Neill, Howe and Graham.

I'm assuming we're not counting Steve Burtenshaw's illustrious 11-game reign?
    It seems I can't actually count at all