Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Geriatric Rock coming to your town

Geriatric Rock coming to your town

Anyone else have misgivings about this phenomenon? Tomorrow tickets go on sale here for Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers. My first reaction is to jump on them right away. But then...

1) Tickets range from $50 to $195. It's an outdoor venue so the decently priced tickets are on the lawn beyond the seats.

2) The concert is June 19 and my first thought is, will they still be alive?

3) Even in their better days it's not like you can anticipate either stunning visuals or a seminal moment. I saw the Doobie Brothers twice in the 70's and the best I can say is that they did passable renditions the songs on their albums.

4) Half of the Steely Dan duo is dead. It's not like he was ever all that visible, but still.

5) Are any of the Original Doobie Brothers alive? Michael McDonald is, but he's doing his own thing having done a concert here a month ago.

6) The prices are ridiculous.

Then again, we all know the reason for this resurgence, royalties ain't what they used to be. I see Eric Clapton, who announced his hands are ****ed two years ago, is now deaf. Of course that won't stop him from playing Hyde Park in July. FFS, I just saw a posting for a concert this summer consisting of Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper??!!?? Why this combo?

So at the end of the day you realize that the ticket buyers are suckers. I've never seen Steely Dan, but own and know pretty much every song they produced.. including Donald Fagen's solo stuff.

On a positive note The Beat (English Beat here) play here at least once a year.. but at a 500 capacity venue for $20. thank you Dave Wakeling.

I mean it was one thing where a truly iconic performer returned in his ancient form, like Sinatra. But now ... crikey we're even on the schedule for Foreigner! The Juke Box Hero tour. More like the crematorium tour. Anyone else a bit conflicted about this development?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Anyone else have misgivings about this phenomenon? Tomorrow tickets go on sale here for Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers. My first reaction is to jump on them right away. But then...

1) Tickets range from $50 to $195. It's an outdoor venue so the decently priced tickets are on the lawn beyond the seats.

3) Even in their better days it's not like you can anticipate either stunning visuals or a seminal moment. I saw the Doobie Brothers twice in the 70's and the best I can say is that they did passable renditions the songs on their albums.

4) Half of the Steely Dan duo is dead. It's not like he was ever all that visible, but still.

5) Are any of the Original Doobie Brothers alive? Michael McDonald is, but he's doing his own thing having done a concert here a month ago.

Then again, we all know the reason for this resurgence, royalties ain't what they used to be. I see Eric Clapton, who announced his hands are ****ed two years ago, is now deaf. Of course that won't stop him from playing Hyde Park in July. FFS, I just saw a posting for a concert this summer consisting of Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper??!!?? Why this combo?

So at the end of the day you realize that the ticket buyers are suckers. I've never seen Steely Dan, but own and know pretty much every song they produced.. including Donald Fagen's solo stuff.

On a positive note The Beat (English Beat here) play here at least once a year.. but at a 500 capacity venue for $20. thank you Dave Wakeling.

I mean it was one thing where a truly iconic performer returned in his ancient form, like Sinatra. But now ... crikey we're even on the schedule for Foreigner! The Juke Box Hero tour. More like the crematorium tour. Anyone else a bit conflicted about this development?
    They are plugging this on the radio constantly here too for some reason Chief...didnt take Fagan long to move on from the lad that died !

Quote Originally Posted by bbrian View Post
    They are plugging this on the radio constantly here too for some reason Chief...didnt take Fagan long to move on from the lad that died !
    You must listen to an old man's talk station like I do. The Geriatric Rock target audience ain't exactly edgy.

btw, Stevie Nicks came around this way last September, playing an 8,000 seat arena, and they were plugging the gig constantly right up until show time! A bit like Cleveland Browns tickets, imo.

The Stones played in Germany, last month. My sons paid a monkey a pop at Fortuna Düsseldorf's ground, but I agreed to front the score as long as they promised me faithfully that they wouldn't tell their mother about it. Ever. Because naturally she would want to go too, with a daughter or two tagging along as well. And, worst of all, I would have to go with them.

It comes from when I was a kid; my older brothers have never forgiven themselves for never getting around to seeing Marvin Gaye before he passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. So now, even to my youngsters, I say, never miss the chance as you never know if they'll be back.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

You must listen to an old man's talk station like I do. The Geriatric Rock target audience ain't exactly edgy.

btw, Stevie Nicks came around this way last September, playing an 8,000 seat arena, and they were plugging the gig constantly right up until show time! A bit like Cleveland Browns tickets, imo.
    Update..now hearing a Peter Cetera / Gene Simmons ad on same radio . Crikey i would never have put those 2 together