Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, Are we still at the point where monkey jibes carry a direct impact upon black

So, Are we still at the point where monkey jibes carry a direct impact upon black

people ? I mean, really ? Hasn't the world moved on a bit ?
    Perhaps a t-shirt can provoke reaction and maybe the more wiser move would be for the parents of black kids not to buy, but you can't help thinking that the entire thought process of drawing a parallel between black kids and monkeys, is in itself racist.
    Surely, parents should be able to buy what they want for their kids without some poncey type crawling out of the woodwork to remind us all that this parallel still has a place.
    Perhaps I'm being naïve, or a typical unaffected whitey but it seems a bit tragic that a black kid can't wear what the f uck he wants ?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=spartandhp
    Last edited by 7sisters; 01-11-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Perhaps a t-shirt can provoke reaction and maybe the more wiser move would be for the parents of black kids not to buy, but you can't help thinking that the entire thought process of drawing a parallel between black kids and monkeys, is in itself racist.
    Surely, parents should be able to buy what they want for their kids without some poncey type crawling out of the woodwork to remind us all that this parallel still has a place.
    Perhaps I'm being naïve, or a typical unaffected whitey but it seems a bit tragic that a black kid can't wear what the f uck he wants ?

I always thought it was unfair that people could say the Martin Keown had a monkey's head, but if you pointed out that Sol Campbell really does look like a silverback gorilla that was racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I always thought it was unfair that people could say the Martin Keown had a monkey's head, but if you pointed out that Sol Campbell really does look like a silverback gorilla that was racist.
    Indeed, if you look like a monkey, just wtf does colour have to do with it

Yes, although for pedantry's sake I have to point out that a gorilla is obviously not a monkey, but an ape.

The worst part is the insinuation that this was actually nothing more than an oversight. Personally I’m with you and think the whole thing is a pile of **** but I’d understand if people pointed out it’s maybe not a good idea to have THAT kid photographed in that jumper. But having some famous ********s photoshop the picture telling the kid he’s a king as though he has actually been called a monkey is ****ing ridiculous.

I do see your point but as long as people in less enlightened places (Russia, Spain, Tottenham) use monkey noises to abuse black people at football matches (as an example) it will carry a stigma which is best not encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Someone did get in trouble for throwing a banana at Gareth Bale, tbf.

Speaking of which, I saw Peter Reid doing some punditry the other day. He's aged a lot, has thinned out, and doesn't look like a monkey any more.

Peter Reid was always able to laugh it off

The Mum cant see the fuss
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I do see your point but as long as people in less enlightened places (Russia, Spain, Tottenham) use monkey noises to abuse black people at football matches (as an example) it will carry a stigma which is best not encouraged
    True. But Sol Campbell does look like a gorilla. I think we can all agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Someone did get in trouble for throwing a banana at Gareth Bale, tbf.

Speaking of which, I saw Peter Reid doing some punditry the other day. He's aged a lot, has thinned out, and doesn't look like a monkey any more.

He's pretty ripped for an old fella, I'll give him that.

aGRXV1K_700b.jpg