Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final remaining member of Motorhead 'Fast' Eddie Clarke has died.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You know The Frog Chorus was a song for kids in a kids' film, right? And, as such, it was very good.
    I'll raise you Ebony and Ivory.

and Pipes of Peace.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

He was a provo, basically. Saw everything - up to and including World War Two - through the prism of his deep and abiding hatred of England. I don't mind a bit of Irish nationalism here and there - hell, I'll even sing a rebel song myself if sufficiently drunk - but I cannot stand the breed who think Irish patriotism simply means hating England.
    Was a funny day when he was spouting his **** about this and that and having a go at both of us, yet revealed he was actually English - or at least far more English than you or me

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    As Jorge (RIP) called him
    Sir Thumbsaloft
    I love Jorge and miss him a great deal but his loathing of the Fabs was always puzzling to me. In '62 Britain was still in the grip of grey, post-war torpor and our voice was essentially that of the carping, nagging, middle class tones of the Pathe news men.

That four working class blokes from the industrial north should have initiated such seismic and global cultural change should delight a man of Jorge's persuasion. Our Empire was finished so the Mop Tops effectively replaced it with a much more far reaching empire of the mind.

To disparage the Beatles in one breath and then laud and applaud a barber shop quartet like the Beach Boys beggars belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I love Jorge and miss him a great deal but his loathing of the Fabs was always puzzling to me. In '62 Britain was still in the grip of grey, post-war torpor and our voice was essentially that of the carping, nagging, middle class tones of the Pathe news men.

That four working class blokes from the industrial north should have initiated such seismic and global cultural change should delight a man of Jorge's persuasion. Our Empire was finished so the Mop Tops effectively replaced it with a much more far reaching empire of the mind.

To disparage the Beatles in one breath and then laud and applaud a barber shop quartet like the Beach Boys beggars belief.
    Jorge was Irish so Britain and it's so called Empire was of little interest to him.

He was of the rather silly school who think that Lennon was cool and great because he was 'edgy' and dead, while McCartney was hopelessly uncool because he wrote a great melody and was alive.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Jorge was Irish so Britain and it's so called Empire was of little interest to him.
    That was always very funny. He was forever threatening to move to your delightful country, but strangely seems still not to have got around to it.

He was of the rather silly school who think that Lennon was cool and great because he was 'edgy' and dead, while McCartney was hopelessly uncool because he wrote a great melody and was alive.
    And yet it was McCartney who wrote Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and Lady Madonna, an anti Catholic polemic. Fool on the Hill, a poignant study of alienation. I think McCartney was the superior writer in addition to being the superior tunesmith

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Was a funny day when he was spouting his **** about this and that and having a go at both of us, yet revealed he was actually English - or at least far more English than you or me
    He was probably one of these people who change their English names to Irish ones. The sort who are actually called Bill Smith, but style themselves Liam Mac an Ghabhain* or whatever.

*I'm sure sw will correct my spelling here. Although I find the notion of spelling in Irish a rather droll one.

Well, say what you will of Jorge, if I ever found myself in the dock accused of crimes I had not committed, I'd want as many Jorges on the jury as possible. I fear you b, and Sir C, would simply want me locked up asap so you could go for a long lunch.

And yet it was McCartney who wrote Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and Lady Madonna, an anti Catholic polemic. Fool on the Hill, a poignant study of alienation. I think McCartney was the superior writer in addition to being the superior tunesmith
    The less said about 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' the better, h.

Anyway, I think trying to judge who was better is unhelpful, really. They were complementary.