Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
Yes. There was always that dreadful thing of looking at the opposition and seeing the usual array of teenagers and middle-aged fat blokes and there, sticking out like a bulldog's böllocks in deepest Surrey stockbroker country would be some strapping young black geezer. And the opposition captain would give you a grin when you were going out to toss up and say something like 'Young Denzil's joined us this year. Played a pretty high standard, I believe. Lovely lad'. This 'lovely lad' would then spend the first few overs of the game trying to rearrange your face.

It was quite fun when you had the ringer, though. One season we had two. That made skippering so easy.
I dont mind someone quick, I dont mind someone bowling short- even n the nets. I mind facing someone who is quick and far too good for me. That is when you get hurt.

Funny thing is, I got hit plenty of times and didnt really mind it- hip, fingers, shoulder, chest, elbow, thigh. It is the prospect of getting hit that I don't like, plus the fear of taking one right in the face.

Why is the ringer never a bloody spinner?? Facing a genuinely good spinner is tremendous fun but it never happens. Most are just chaps who decided to become a spinner once they reached a certain weight.

I used to love facing the first eleven spinner in the nets. He was brilliant, and there was no better preparation for the technique. Tremendous fun.

THe first eleven pace bowlers, not so much fun