Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixed feelings on that VAR ****. I felt it worked

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Call it paranoia (probably is) but I felt they were looking for any way to give the penalty to Chelsea rather than stick with the original (and correct) decision. Whereas our appeal was turned away almost instantly
    Didn't have the sound for the game - do they have the screen at the side of the pitch like they do in the Bundesliga. Find it very odd that Atkinson didn't look at it for our pen - which clearly was a pen. We should be able to hear what the VAR is saying a la cricket and rugby. The secrecy is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Didn't have the sound for the game - do they have the screen at the side of the pitch like they do in the Bundesliga. Find it very odd that Atkinson didn't look at it for our pen - which clearly was a pen. We should be able to hear what the VAR is saying a la cricket and rugby. The secrecy is ridiculous
    It seems to me that the very last person on the pitch who ought to be deciding what does or doesn't go to the VAR is the on-field referee.

Nope, no screen or communication relayed to the fans at the match, which is poor and needs to be sorted. I assumed on the telly we were seeing the same replays the 4th official was but maybe not.

This is my issue, I assume our penalty wasn't given as there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it and that decision was made quickly (sticking with the on field decision, if you will), whereas the Chelsea one they seemed to be looking for any way to reverse the decision!

I thought it was going to be like that. Bloke up stairs says you need to have a look at this and then he goes to the side of the pitch and watches the replays.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I don't particularly want to watch managers doing the TV charade as per Conte last night. Will get very tedious, very quickly!
    He can't help it he's Italian so it's built in.

The phrase 'overturning obvious errors' worries me. I am tempted to think they mean that, for instance, the penalty given at West Brom wouldn't be overturned as technically it did hit a hand. This would be pretty farcical and would perhaps have pushed wenger over the edge......

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It seems to me that the very last person on the pitch who ought to be deciding what does or doesn't go to the VAR is the on-field referee.
    No, he's practically the only person who ought to. Otherwise the players might just as soon officiate matches amongst themselves.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The phrase 'overturning obvious errors' worries me. I am tempted to think they mean that, for instance, the penalty given at West Brom wouldn't be overturned as technically it did hit a hand. This would be pretty farcical and would perhaps have pushed wenger over the edge......
    That's just the usual Trojan Horse, I think. Very soon after, they'll be insisting on using it for everything.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    He can't help it he's Italian so it's built in.
    To be fair it the concept is to be introduced by FIFA/PL/whoeever then it is only natural for managers to seek it's use when it suits them.

No different really to them berating the poor 4th official which happens every match.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I thought it was going to be like that. Bloke up stairs says you need to have a look at this and then he goes to the side of the pitch and watches the replays.
    That's what happened over here - don't see why it isn't. Really don't get the point of it - the VAR must be reluctant to overturn onfield refs decisions (as they are going to be in that position at other times); onfield ref doesn't get a chance to review the incident. Have no problem with Atkinson not giving the pen last night as he couldn't be 100 per cent certain sure given the pace it happened at but on replay it was surely a pen