Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Mixed feelings on that VAR ****. I felt it worked

Was Mike Riley the umpire ?
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I took the view that it was the umpire's decision. Who am I to interfere with his work?

I was once stumped off a leg side wide (nowhere near leaving my crease) and was on 49 at the time. ****s.
    There were many variables to just how cünty I'd be about it. I'd be: the state of the match; how well I was batting; how knackered I was; how quick the bowlers were, etc, etc.

Actually, the last one is a joke, but I have played with guys who'd have walked on an lbw appeal if someone a bit rapid was operating.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There were many variables to just how cünty I'd be about it. I'd be: the state of the match; how well I was batting; how knackered I was; how quick the bowlers were, etc, etc.

Actually, the last one is a joke, but I have played with guys who'd have walked on an lbw appeal if someone a bit rapid was operating.
    I did once face a young chap from Trinidad who was frighteningly quick and far too good for our league. He bowled left arm round the wicket at my throat for about four overs with not a single ball in my half. I couldnt even get out, he was getting so much seam movement I couldnt even get a nick on it. He bowled one on to the pads which I flicked for four and that only made him angrier.

The only time in my cricketing career that I was ever actually quite frightened. I got out to a fat spinner a few overs later.....

I am racking my brains but I cant think of a single time when I actually walked.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I did once face a young chap from Trinidad who was frighteningly quick and far too good for our league. He bowled left arm round the wicket at my throat for about four overs with not a single ball in my half. I couldnt even get out, he was getting so much seam movement I couldnt even get a nick on it. He bowled one on to the pads which I flicked for four and that only made him angrier.

The only time in my cricketing career that I was ever actually quite frightened. I got out to a fat spinner a few overs later.....

I am racking my brains but I cant think of a single time when I actually walked.....
    Yes. There was always that dreadful thing of looking at the opposition and seeing the usual array of teenagers and middle-aged fat blokes and there, sticking out like a bulldog's böllocks in deepest Surrey stockbroker country would be some strapping young black geezer. And the opposition captain would give you a grin when you were going out to toss up and say something like 'Young Denzil's joined us this year. Played a pretty high standard, I believe. Lovely lad'. This 'lovely lad' would then spend the first few overs of the game trying to rearrange your face.

It was quite fun when you had the ringer, though. One season we had two. That made skippering so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. There was always that dreadful thing of looking at the opposition and seeing the usual array of teenagers and middle-aged fat blokes and there, sticking out like a bulldog's böllocks in deepest Surrey stockbroker country would be some strapping young black geezer. And the opposition captain would give you a grin when you were going out to toss up and say something like 'Young Denzil's joined us this year. Played a pretty high standard, I believe. Lovely lad'. This 'lovely lad' would then spend the first few overs of the game trying to rearrange your face.

It was quite fun when you had the ringer, though. One season we had two. That made skippering so easy.
    Yes - I remember playing Burnham and they had a lad from Barbados playing for them. He was a bit rapid. At one point I was umpiring (having cunningly batted and been out while he was taking a breather) and he was even scary then. Our batsman manage to dig out a yorker, run and single and said to me "That was close." "Damned right," I replied. "To be honest if he appealed I would have just given you out not to anger him"

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Call it paranoia (probably is) but I felt they were looking for any way to give the penalty to Chelsea rather than stick with the original (and correct) decision. Whereas our appeal was turned away almost instantly
    I think a few people's paranoia might have been engaged when ref boss Mike Riley was interviewed from VAR HQ. So Neil Swarbrick is the VAR ref, with Mr Riley standing behind him making sure the decision is correct.

So next season, Mike Riley gets to call the big decisions in ALL our games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I think a few people's paranoia might have been engaged when ref boss Mike Riley was interviewed from VAR HQ. So Neil Swarbrick is the VAR ref, with Mr Riley standing behind him making sure the decision is correct.

My thinking exactly

* * * * Mike Riley Klaxon * * * *

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Is it being rolled out across all PL matches next season?

I note it was used in our match but not the previous night on the basis that Bristol City were not a PL side.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    My thinking exactly
    I feel sorry for Mr Riley's bookie.