Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your last pair of jeans?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    That song was actually inspired by events at an unemployment march which went from Liverpool (oddly enough) and through its journey made it through Slough / Eton where the school chaps were to stood watching and shouting “Hello, Hooray” etc.

The ins and outs of the actual fight I am unaware of.
    The oiks got battered. That's the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hugh Laurie would have been an Etonian who would be roughly contemporaneous with Weller, I think. As an accomplished wet bob, I'm sure he'd have battered Weller without breaking a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Council estate types from Slough back in the 60's would frequently amuse themselves by roughing up Etonians and pinching their top hats.

Now there is an urban myth that arose about an Eton boxing blue who would deliberately set himself up as bait when the word went round that the roughs were up to their tricks and would beat the shít out of whoever tried to take his hat.

It wasn't an urban myth though. Not long before Rifles came out, an Eastender I was working with when I did my apprenticeship, told me he and a little mob of his mates had gone to Eton to pinch top hats and their daddy had, indeed, been battered by a toff. True story.

I always assumed the story had somehow made it to Weller

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hugh Laurie would have been an Etonian who would be roughly contemporaneous with Weller, I think. As an accomplished wet bob, I'm sure he'd have battered Weller without breaking a sweat.
    "All that rowing puts hairs on your chest" would've worked rather well too, wouldn't it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    "All that rowing puts hairs on your chest" would've worked rather well too, wouldn't it.
    "There's a row going on, down near Slough", in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Weller was not actually involved in the scrap, it was an event which he had read about.

The lyrics were part based on this event and also on a fight which occured in Leeds between members of The Jam and their road crew and an Australian rugby side, the incident resulted in PW attending Leeds Magistrates Court where he was charged with some nonsense or other, breaching the peace type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Weller was not actually involved in the scrap, it was an event which he had read about.

The lyrics were part based on this event and also on a fight which occured in Leeds between members of The Jam and their road crew and an Australian rugby side, the incident resulted in PW attending Leeds Magistrates Court where he was charged with some nonsense or other, breaching the peace type thing.
    Shush. I'm just enjoying the image of Weller being punched in the face by Hugh Laurie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I don't buy clothes very often. £80 for a pair of 511s seems noticeably more than last time, especially as I needed two.
    Typically around £50 for a pair of 501s at the Levi outlet store at Gunwharf. A terrible place, of course. But I tend to get dragged there once every 12-18 months through no choice of my own

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Typically around £50 for a pair of 501s at the Levi outlet store at Gunwharf. A terrible place, of course. But I tend to get dragged there once every 12-18 months through no choice of my own
    I had an idea you were a married man, R? That's what wives are for, you know; shopping and stuff.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I had an idea you were a married man, R? That's what wives are for, you know; shopping and stuff.
    Well, engaged for now, r. Let's leave the married part until 2019.