Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having read glowing reviews and taken Kermode's word for it that

Having read glowing reviews and taken Kermode's word for it that

the script was at least plausible, I shelled out a small fortune to go and see The Last Jedi actually in a real cinema. I expected to be entranced as I was with The Empire Strikes Back but was disappointed.

Plot was banging around all over the place like a pinball machine and there seemed to be a surfeit of menopausal ladies running the show and delivering tepid lines with very little conviction. The english bird's accent was somewhat grating in the way Helen Baxendale's was when she fouled up a whole season of Friends.

One small bonus though. The old soak they thought would be a code cracker but betrayed them. If that ain't a young Sir C then I'm my chinese uncle's pet duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    the script was at least plausible, I shelled out a small fortune to go and see The Last Jedi actually in a real cinema. I expected to be entranced as I was with The Empire Strikes Back but was disappointed.

Plot was banging around all over the place like a pinball machine and there seemed to be a surfeit of menopausal ladies running the show and delivering tepid lines with very little conviction. The english bird's accent was somewhat grating in the way Helen Baxendale's was when she fouled up a whole season of Friends.

One small bonus though. The old soak they thought would be a code cracker but betrayed them. If that ain't a young Sir C then I'm my chinese uncle's pet duck.

I say, who is that ruggedly handsome chap. He looks like an older me.

I am sure he looks older than you did

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I say, who is that ruggedly handsome chap. He looks like an older me.
    when you were twenty one c although I rather fancy you have had that craggy, bronsonesque look since you were about sixteen. I bet you were on 20 Capstan Full Strength a day by the age of fourteen?

The only difference is the Neanderthal profile
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

when you were twenty one c although I rather fancy you have had that craggy, bronsonesque look since you were about sixteen. I bet you were on 20 Capstan Full Strength a day by the age of fourteen?
    Their mums and dads smoke capstan non filters,
    Wallpaper lives cause they all die of cancer,
    What goes on, what goes wrong.

Save up their money for a holiday,
    To selsey bill or bracklesham bay,
    Think about the future, when they'll settle down,
    Marry the girl next door, with one on the way.

No-one captures the essence of the council estates of The Southeast quite like Weller.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Their mums and dads smoke capstan non filters,
    Wallpaper lives cause they all die of cancer,
    What goes on, what goes wrong.

Save up their money for a holiday,
    To selsey bill or bracklesham bay,
    Think about the future, when they'll settle down,
    Marry the girl next door, with one on the way.

I actually sent to Selsey Bill once. As part of a general drive around the coast, rather than a specific pilgrimage. Naturally that song came to mind.

I've got to the stage where I'm afraid I no longer trust Kermode. I've had too many bad steers from him. Shīte like 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' and 'The Falling' that he's raved about have turned out to be the most appalling drivel.

I'm afraid I've also come to the conclusion that he and Mayo are too easily swayed by the really big genre releases like James Bond and Star Wars. Faced with such massive films, their critical faculties seem to shut down and these films seem to get huge plaudits virtually on the nod.

I'm also increasingly fed up with the way he allows his political bias to influence his reviews. He simply gushes at stuff like 'I Am Daniel Blake' and 'Pride' for no other reason than their political standpoint.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've got to the stage where I'm afraid I no longer trust Kermode. I've had too many bad steers from him. Shīte like 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' and 'The Falling' that he's raved about have turned out to be the most appalling drivel.

I'm afraid I've also come to the conclusion that he and Mayo are too easily swayed by the really big genre releases like James Bond and Star Wars. Faced with such releases, their critical faculties seems to shut down and these films seem to get huge plaudits virtually on the nod.

I'm also increasingly fed up with the way he allows his political bias to influence his reviews. He simply gushes at stuff like 'I Am Daniel Blake' and 'Pride' for no other reason than their political standpoint.
    Armond White is good, although he hates all the movies I love. Except Guy Ritchie's latest, oddly enough.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Armond White is good, although he hates all the movies I love. Except Guy Ritchie's latest, oddly enough.
    By which you mean 'He hates Michael Mann'