Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This morning I remembered some stuff and it made me deeply grateful

This morning I remembered some stuff and it made me deeply grateful

that I'm not at school any more.

Damp January mornings in a freezing, crumbling Victorian building with one lukewarm radiator per classroom. The smell of cold, wet mud on a rugby pitch as your face was ground into it. An elderly man of dubious sexual predilictions shouting at you for failing to conjugate Latin irregular verbs correctly.

The past truly is a different place, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    that I'm not at school any more.

Damp January mornings in a freezing, crumbling Victorian building with one lukewarm radiator per classroom. The smell of cold, wet mud on a rugby pitch as your face was ground into it. An elderly man of dubious sexual predilictions shouting at you for failing to conjugate Latin irregular verbs correctly.

The past truly is a different place, thank God.
    Mondays were especially shït in winter. We always had rugby on Monday afternoon. The pervasive reek of of Deep heat and sweaty teenage boys and Mr Dodd (a convicted pedofiddler) 'joining the scrum', 'keeping his hands warm' down the front of his tracksuit trousers and 'making sure we'd showered'.

Character-building, mind.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-08-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Mondays were especially shït in winter. We always had rugby on Monday afternoon. The pervasive reek of of Deep heat and sweaty teenage boys and Mr Dodd (a convicted pedofiddler) 'joining the scrum', 'keeping his hands warm' down the front of his tracksuit trousers and 'making sure we'd showered'.

I think it's the cold I remember more than anything. Freezing when you arrived, freezing all day, ridiculously freezing on the rugby pitch / gym, and then... the joy of an arctic changing room in which to shiver, secure in the knowledge that some **** would flick you with a towel and raise a weal like a buboe on your bottom.

And the most you had to look forward to at night was boiled mince and Coronation Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I think it's the cold I remember more than anything. Freezing when you arrived, freezing all day, ridiculously freezing on the rugby pitch / gym, and then... the joy of an arctic changing room in which to shiver, secure in the knowledge that some **** would flick you with a towel and raise a weal like a buboe on your bottom.

And the most you had to look forward to at night was boiled mince and Coronation Street.
    Yes. The odd thing, though, is that I seem to remember enjoying school very much. Obviously, the individual elements were shít, but taken as a whole it was tremendous fun. I've never really understood these chaps who like to bang on about how school made them miserable. i always think they must have been doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-08-2018 at 11:33 AM.

First and second formers being castigated for daring to use each others christian

names. Food that had been prepared almost hatefully without the slightest attempt at flavour or quality.

An RI teacher with a suspicious tendency to flog only blond boys on the flimsiest of pretexts.

You've disinterred some painful memories

True that. Once we got to the fourth form, boarding school was like having a hundred brothers and no parents around to spoil it.

We had no heating, carpets or curtains in our dorms and when it dropped to freezing outside a saucer of water placed on a windowsill would form a layer of ice. (none of us died however ).

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    True that. Once we got to the fourth form, boarding school was like having a hundred brothers and no parents around to spoil it.
    For anyone who wasn't monumentally stupid or hideously deformed, had a modicum of social skill and (ideally) some facility for sport, public school was tremendous fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    names. Food that had been prepared almost hatefully without the slightest attempt at flavour or quality.

An RI teacher with a suspicious tendency to flog only blond boys on the flimsiest of pretexts.

You've disinterred some painful memories
    Fúcking hell, were you at my school between 1976 and 1982?

For anyone who wasn't monumentally stupid or hideously deformed, had a modicum of social skill and (ideally) some facility for sport, public school was tremendous fun.
    Not in the 1970s, it wasn't.

It was fúcking brutal.