Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This morning I remembered some stuff and it made me deeply grateful

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    True that. Once we got to the fourth form, boarding school was like having a hundred brothers and no parents around to spoil it.
    Hold the fúck on, you went to a boarding school?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Only to fix the bogs
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Fúcking hell, were you at my school between 1976 and 1982?
    I think I am a little older than you c, I escaped in '74. They were all much of a likeness. England was awash with sub-standard boarding schools that were basically dickensian relics that had refused to die an got away with it because no-one new how **** they were.

Some new standards, enforceable by law, were introduced in the late 80's sometime which saw hundreds of them closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Not in the 1970s, it wasn't.

It was fúcking brutal.
    I think my place was probably quite brutal if you were one of the chaps who weren't as described. I've met a couple of them in later life and they've told me how unhappy they were. I was oblivious to this at the time, of course, because no-one is more solipsistic than a kid.

Also, I left the fact that you had to be white and Christian off my list. God help you if you were brown or a four-by-two.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think my place was probably quite brutal if you were one of the chaps who weren't as described. I've met a couple of them in later life and they've told me how unhappy they were. I was oblivious to this at the time, of course, because no-one is more solipsistic than a kid.

Also, I left the fact that you had to be white and Christian off my list. God help you if you were brown or a four-by-two.
    You'd have noticed. Fúcking hell, being reasonably good at sport and socially viable didn't save you from getting a regular hiding. Being able to fight did.

For anyone who wasn't monumentally stupid or hideously deformed, had a modicum of social skill and (ideally) some facility for sport, public school was tremendous fun.
    The great fun I had at school was most definitely in spite of the school and nothing to do with it.

I shudder to this day to recall the brutal bullying that was a reality for the less popular, the dim and the fat ( we reserved a highly refined and quite vicious odium for fat people).

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I have spoken of it many times on here so wind yer almost non-existant, irish neck in

For anyone who wasn't monumentally stupid or hideously deformed, had a modicum of social skill and (ideally) some facility for sport, public school was tremendous fun.
    Agreed. Terrific fun, them days.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    The great fun I had at school was most definitely in spite of the school and nothing to do with it.

I shudder to this day to recall the brutal bullying that was a reality for the less popular, the dim and the fat ( we reserved a highly refined and quite vicious odium for fat people).
    Yes. Fatness meant instant bullying back then. There was a chap called Jupp whose jelly-like frame would make him a constant target for vicious towel flicking after swimming. It has to be said there was a certain sadistic pleasure to be gained from watching his flab wobble when you caught him with a good one to the belly.

I suppose with hindsight that that was probably bullying Mind you, there was a big fat Chinese lad called Pete Lam who you didn't mock because he was enormous and would fück you up if you did.

Well quite. There was a chap I recall was mercilessly tormented until one day he lost it and delivered a comprehensive and quite bloody shoeing to the tormentor-in-chief. None of us knew he could scrap and the bullying ceased immediately of course.