Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: This Wenger charge for calling into question the integrity of the referees

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for
    offences and infringements committed when the ball is in play.

Page 81 of 206

1. Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences
    against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless,
    reckless or using excessive force
    :
    • charges
    • jumps at
    • kicks or attempts to kick
    • pushes
    • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    • tackles or challenges
    • trips or attempts to trip
    If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty
    kick.
    • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when
    making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is
    needed
    • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or
    consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
    • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and
    endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

Page 95 of 206

The Penalty Kick

A penalty kick is awarded if a player commits a direct free kick offence inside
    their penalty area or off the field as part of play as outlined in Laws 12 and 13.
    A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick.

IFAB Laws of the Game 2016/2017 (which I was given and expected to read as part of an FAI initiative). For the record I didn't.

I shall await your apology.
    Grazing the other fellas boot while going for a 50-50 ball in the air is arguably not nailed-on careless, reckless or using excessive force imo.

Maybe it could be considered careless to touch an opponent at all. Cue the "they're making it a non-contact sport, Jeff" from the 'proper football men'.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    But you accept that 'kick' is a loosely defined term whose interpretation lies entirely within the hands of the referee no matter how incompetent (Dean) or corrupt (Riley) he actually is?

The point here I think is that the foul on Ramsey, or not , depends on how hard he was pushed, and on Hazard on how hard he was actually kicked. The rules provide only a guideline, the rest is down to the ability and impartiality of the referee.

Quite loving the way this has treated that appalling c*ntstain Riley, though. A man (loosely defined as well) I would genuinely like to meet in order to tell him what I think of him followed by, if possible without a criminal charge, a physical assault.
    Of course. But he did kick him. The force with which he kicked him open to debate.

Remember the kick Beckham lashed out on Simeone in the WC, hardly one to break a leg, still a kick. Off.

The laws are wrong when coupled with the fact that they are then interpreted as appropriate by individuals. You will get different opinions here, apart from the West Brom pen which universally has been accepted as the wrong decision, so why should we not expect two referees to perhaps judge the same incident differently.

The endless slo-mo and analysis during matches coupled with the equally endless post-match analysis, done largely by bodies which love to encourage a bit of friction and furore, will be the ruination of the game.

The very last people we should listen to, or be influenced by, is managers of either team on the pitch. Wenger was on his feet roaring and complaining about the Bellerin incident, what 50-100 yards away, not sure. Thing is the same manager had been on his feet roaring and complaining about the Maitland Niles incident which was clearly never a penalty.

See also Klopp post Lovren / Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Of course. But he did kick him. The force with which he kicked him open to debate.

Remember the kick Beckham lashed out on Simeone in the WC, hardly one to break a leg, still a kick. Off.

The laws are wrong when coupled with the fact that they are then interpreted as appropriate by individuals. You will get different opinions here, apart from the West Brom pen which universally has been accepted as the wrong decision, so why should we not expect two referees to perhaps judge the same incident differently.

The endless slo-mo and analysis during matches coupled with the equally endless post-match analysis, done largely by bodies which love to encourage a bit of friction and furore, will be the ruination of the game.

The very last people we should listen to, or be influenced by, is managers of either team on the pitch. Wenger was on his feet roaring and complaining about the Bellerin incident, what 50-100 yards away, not sure. Thing is the same manager had been on his feet roaring and complaining about the Maitland Niles incident which was clearly never a penalty.

See also Klopp post Lovren / Everton.
    That's right, I think. It's all pantomine stuff anyway. Especially nowadays, when it doesn't make much difference to anything either way. One can't even really argue that livelihoods are at stake anymore.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I thought the lino always looked along the line and the ref told him in his earpiece when the pass was made so he’s not looking in 2 places at once. No idea how they did it before the headsets came in though

Quote Originally Posted by taxman10 View Post
    I thought the lino always looked along the line and the ref told him in his earpiece when the pass was made so he’s not looking in 2 places at once. No idea how they did it before the headsets came in though
    Nobody cared so long as Manchester United won, I think.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."