Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Wenger charge for calling into question the integrity of the referees

This Wenger charge for calling into question the integrity of the referees

Out of curiosity, has a manager ever been charged for saying "you don't get the decisions at the big grounds"?

Because I think I must have heard that said 3 million times, and it is rather explicitly questioning the integrity, or certainly no less so than Wenger's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Out of curiosity, has a manager ever been charged for saying "you don't get the decisions at the big grounds"?

Because I think I must have heard that said 3 million times, and it is rather explicitly questioning the integrity, or certainly no less so than Wenger's comments.
    Conspiratorial, tin-foil hatted insanity to suggest that football could possibly be corrupt, I've been informed. To suggest that a ref, or even worse, the head of the refs might have bias against a team. Madness.

You might as well suggest that FIFA itself is corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Conspiratorial, tin-foil hatted insanity to suggest that football could possibly be corrupt, I've been informed. To suggest that a ref, or even worse, the head of the refs might have bias against a team. Madness.

I'm not sure I would necessarily count a ref "disliking" a team as corruption.

I changed the wording to 'bias', as that covers more possibilities. Any abuse of power is a corruption in my book.

synonyms for verb corrupt: alter, falsify, manipulate, tamper with, interfere with, tinker with, doctor, distort

How does a blatant cheat like Mike Riley get to be in charge of all the refs?

It would surely affect your decisions though, you couldn't help but think, "I'll just let that one go"......as per the terrible tackle on Lanzini in the lead up to spur's goal last night.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    It would surely affect your decisions though, you couldn't help but think, "I'll just let that one go"......as per the terrible tackle on Lanzini in the lead up to spur's goal last night.
    It can also work the other way, where a ref who is thought to be biased in favour of a certain club will overcompensate by showing a slight bias against them in his decisions.

I also think this 'over-compensation' mentality can come into play in other situations too. For example, I reckon Anthony Taylor may have given Chelsea their pelanty because he feared if he didn't it would look like he'd been scared off by Wenger's comments after the West Brom game.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Yet Moyes said it wasn't a foul. Sucking up, imo.

How does a blatant cheat like Mike Riley get to be in charge of all the refs?
    I take exception. Mr Riley was no cheat. He was simply a spineless, gutless, scum sucking little weasel who was frightened of Sir ****ex so he was, the hideous little ****stain.

It can also work the other way, where a ref who is thought to be biased in favour of a certain club will overcompensate by showing a slight bias against them in his decisions.

I also think this 'over-compensation' mentality can come into play in other situations too. For example, I reckon Anthony Taylor may have given Chelsea their pelanty because he feared if he didn't it would look like he'd been scared off by Wenger's comments after the West Brom game.
    I was a bit annoyed with Arsene wasting nearly a minute of added time arguing with Dean when we could have been trying to get the winner. Dean blew up exactly on 4 mins.

Interesting I've read a couple of pieces slagging off Wenger of suggesting a conspiracy that have totally failed to mention the fact that he was on the end of one of the biggest examples of corruption in modern-day football. Clearly going to colour his view