Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This Wenger charge for calling into question the integrity of the referees

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    This is why VAR might not resolve problems. Instead of a referee making an arbitrary decision in real time, he'll make an arbitrary one based on multiple slow-motions.
    Well it will be arbitrary, but it will be subject to increased scrutiny and thus you are more likely to at least get close to the correct outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    It will never take away the ref's opinion... who is to say when contact becomes a foul? Are we going to have 4 or 5 pens every game from shirt pulling at corners?

In Cricket there is little scope for opinion, there is Umpire's call but apart from that there isn't much of a grey area (there are obvious ones that could be questioned, but these are few and far between)
    But a video ref will mean a second opinion. Also, it's more difficult to justify a blatantly wrong decision if you're able to watch the thing play back in slo-mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There have always been shít refs. Clive Thomas springs to mind. He was utterly incompetent, but - and this is crucial - he was even-handedly incompetent. Dean is not.
    I hate tin foil hates but that stats chap on Arseblog showing the pens 4 and against by Dean for the top 6 over c.50 matches did make me wonder.

But a video ref will mean a second opinion. Also, it's more difficult to justify a blatantly wrong decision if you're able to watch the thing play back in slo-mo.
    So I have seen some ex refs say no pen on Wednesday, and others say Pen... so what happens when we get Video ref and the onfield ref says pen, and views it again and still says pen, and the video ref says no pen?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I think so. There is certainly an odd reluctance to introduce things that would remove some of the subjectivity, such as video replays. These have been shown to be effective in other games (indeed, to add another level of tension and excitement) and yet football continues to resist them. Why? I suspect there's an attachment to the antiquated in football that is at odds with its modern image.
    Simply, football doesn't need it, at least until other sports overtake it. Or even threaten to catch up.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

It will never take away the ref's opinion... who is to say when contact becomes a foul? Are we going to have 4 or 5 pens every game from shirt pulling at corners?
    If every contact in the box is a pen then Spurs could have had a hat-full last night, even excluding the usual corner tussling. At one point the big dribbly lad was literally hauled to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Partially that was Blatter holding the game back - he refused to countenance the idea of technology and his word was law. No coincidence that we will have VAR at the World Cup and everywhere from next season now he is out of the way. Though it is still a pretty flawed system at the moment from what I have seen in the German game.

And the laws will remain the same regardless, despite some of them being ridiculous. I mean in the cold light of day, we can admit that Hector "probably" fouled the cheating little Belgian **** the other night, but in what insane system should that equate to almost an automatic goal (or with Cech in nets, an dead-cert goal). Makes very little sense
    I agree. I've long felt the rules on penalties are ludicrous. Shirt pulling at a corner is not the same offence as scything someone down just as they're about to shoot. Equally, the idea that an offence one side of an arbitrary white line should mean a free kick that could (but is unlikely to) result in a goal, but committed six inches further forward is almost certainly a goal is just very silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If every contact in the box is a pen then Spurs could have had a hat-full night, even excluding the usual corner tussling. At one point the big dribbly lad was literally hauled to the ground.
    Heard there were a couple of balls to hand that weren't given last night... would be better if they banned all slow mo and then we couldn't over analyse every decision
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

So I have seen some ex refs say no pen on Wednesday, and others say Pen... so what happens when we get Video ref and the onfield ref says pen, and views it again and still says pen, and the video ref says no pen?
    Not how it works - either the onfield ref accepts a recommendation from the VAR or, as in most instances, reviews the incident on a screen at the side of the pitch. Ultimately, onfield ref has final decision no matter what

My guess is that the video ref will be allowed to make recommendations to the on-field ref and give him the opportunity to change his decision. That's how I'd do it at first anyway.