Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So all the telly pundits and media agree that diving needs to be driven from the game

So all the telly pundits and media agree that diving needs to be driven from the game

yet when Hazard feels the slightest touch on the bottom of his boot and then grabs his calf, screams, jumps into the air, falls to the ground and rolls around, this is somehow acceptable?

And no f*cker really has any idea if that was a pen other than Hazard. The idea that any contact is a pen is nonsense and having seen it about a hundred times now I remain unconvinced that there was sufficient contact to merit it. Yet somehow the pundits and media know it was and Hazard is blameless.

Load of c*nt imo.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    yet when Hazard feels the slightest touch on the bottom of his boot and then grabs his calf, screams, jumps into the air, falls to the ground and rolls around, this is somehow acceptable?

And no f*cker really has any idea if that was a pen other than Hazard. The idea that any contact is a pen is nonsense and having seen it about a hundred times now I remain unconvinced that there was sufficient contact to merit it. Yet somehow the pundits and media know it was and Hazard is blameless.

Load of c*nt imo.
    #prayforhazard'sshin

Horrible Belgian gimp.

Load of c*nt imo.
    It was more of a pen than most given against us but still don't think it was a pen......if that makes sense??

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    It was more of a pen than most given against us but still don't think it was a pen......if that makes sense??
    It was certainly more of a pen than Chambers' against WBA. But that's only because that was never, ever, ever a pen in any world at any time.

My point really isn't whether it was or it wasn't, just that it was such slight contact that I fail to see how anyone could definitively say it was, other than Hazard. Which makes it amazing to me how much of the media were certain that it was.

It was certainly more of a pen than Chambers' against WBA. But that's only because that was never, ever, ever a pen in any world at any time.

My point really isn't whether it was or it wasn't, just that it was such slight contact that I fail to see how anyone could definitively say it was, other than Hazard. Which makes it amazing to me how much of the media were certain that it was.
    Of course, one could also say that Jack was a touch fortunate........

Of course, one could also say that Jack was a touch fortunate........
    Oh yes, absolutely. But as Gallagher pointed out, Taylor was almost completely unsighted for the incident so even if he got it right a second yellow would have been a very big decision.

The thing is, can whether or not the contact was sufficient for the player to go down

really be the measure for whether or not it is a foul?

You could get one player who has sufficient balance or strength to stay on their feet in the face of contact, but another who doesn't. Exactly the same incident, but because the first player was stronger/had better balance, in your view it isn't a pelanty.

This strikes me as imperfect, though I acknowledge may be the best way on balance.

Load of c*nt imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    really be the measure for whether or not it is a foul?

You could get one player who has sufficient balance or strength to stay on their feet in the face of contact, but another who doesn't. Exactly the same incident, but because the first player was stronger/had better balance, in your view it isn't a pelanty.

This strikes me as imperfect, though I acknowledge may be the best way on balance.
    I would have to see it again but it appeared at first viewing that they kicked each other's foot. Not really sure how you can decide whether it is a foul, or who fouled who.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I would have to see it again but it appeared at first viewing that they kicked each other's foot. Not really sure how you can decide whether it is a foul, or who fouled who.
    No, Hector clearly kicked Hazard's foot, the bottom of it.

When I say 'kicked' I mean barely touched after flicking his foot upward.

It was as much a pelanty, by the letter of the law, as the won at WBA wasn't.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”