Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I must say, you cricket enthusiasts give the impression that

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    you watch the game whilst sucking on a lemon; there is a permanent sourness underlying a constant barrage of moaning about this chap's technique or that chap's decisions.

It's a bit like reading the musings of the chaps on Arsenalfan TV, if they could write.

Do all cricket types live in a state of barely suppressed rage, or is it just you guys? Either way, I've got to tell you, for the sake of your mental health, chill out dudes.
    This Ashes series is on BT, so for me it isn't actually happening.

wd BT imo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I know you don't care about cricket, but can you imagine what it is like to lose to Australia at something? Have you ever met an australian? You know what they are like.
    in sports that we regularly play against Australia...do we actually win more times than not?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Oh I don't mean this case in particular, I mean in general. Perhaps it's hard to see from the inside, but when discussing cricket you all constantly moan and whinge like little bitches. There's never any joy.

Please accept my apologies for the patriarchal language in this message.
    I think the tendency to minutely criticise individual performance in cricket is a function of the game’s odd nature. Despite being a team game, it puts immense scrutiny and pressure on individuals because, at its most crucial points, it is a contest between individuals rather than a team sport. This means that fans inevitably focus on individual performance to what must seem a forensic degree for a football fan. It’s not unhappiness, it’s simply how the game works.

I know you don't care about cricket, but can you imagine what it is like to lose to Australia at something? Have you ever met an australian? You know what they are like.

If you want joy, you need to win.....

No to all your questions by the way. I am actually a remarkably affable and phlegmatic sort. A pleasure to be around
    I have met many Australians. Like Americans, South Africans or New Zealanders, they are utterly irrelevant as human beings, neither one thing nor another, and certainly not worthy of an Englishman's ire.

Now losing to a real enemy, I could understand being distressed by that. Germany, Ireland or Belgium, losing to those freaks would offend me.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think the tendency to minutely criticise individual performance in cricket is a function of the game’s odd nature. Despite being a team game, it puts immense scrutiny and pressure on individuals because, at its most crucial points, it is a contest between individuals rather than a team sport. This means that fans inevitably focus on individual performance to what must seem a forensic degree for a football fan. It’s not unhappiness, it’s simply how the game works.
    It is also a highly technical game where decisions hinge on millimetres...

It is also a highly technical game where decisions hinge on millimetres...
    Indeed. And one in which technical and psychological flaws are quickly and ruthlessly exposed.

So, for instance, a footballer can make a cock up and then redeem themselves by playing brilliantly for the rest of the game. The batsman has no such luxury. More often than not if he fúcks up, he’s out. That makes the scrutiny of technique and mentality highly relevant.
    Last edited by Burney; 12-06-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

wd BT imo
    I’ve gradually lost interest in the sport to be honest. Just can’t seem to get into it as much as I did say 10 to 15 years ago.

wd BT imo
    That, and the fact that it is on in the middle of the night....

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I’ve gradually lost interest in the sport to be honest. Just can’t seem to get into it as much as I did say 10 to 15 years ago.
    Billy! Welcome back! How are you?

Billy! Welcome back! How are you?
    I’m good thanks, Ash. Started a new job a few months ago and don’t get any time to slack off so haven’t been on here that much