Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Carol service in prod church review.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Thanks for mansplaining my own brain
    It's everyone's brain, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    But consciousness is a mystery. That there is ultimately a scientific meaning to it doesn't stop it being mysterious or highly significant. And is it certainly biochemical? I have argued with someone who insists that we cannot rule out a sophisticated electronic intelligence acquiring consciousness.

And if you think, as you indicated earlier, that a belief in god is a perfectly natural response to seeking patterns of order in a chaotic universe, it isn't unreasonable that the process of consciousness reflecting upon itself (meta-consciousness) would be part of that belief, based in the feeling of detachment from the material body that such reflection can cause. I suspect that this sense of detachment may have been the 'spirituality' that Monty was alluding to in his clumsily-constructed post.
    I would side with your chum who believes we can manufacture something with a consciousness. And, of course, once something can be manufactured, it has no more mystery than a tennis ball, a nail or a Boeing 747.