Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carol service in prod church review.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    You conflate spirituality with God, but the two need not have anything to do with each other whatsoever.

So when you say "or some variation thereof" what you actually mean is something entirely different to God (specifically, an acceptance that there is much about the world - and in particular human consciousness - that we do not yet understand). There is no reason at all - other than intellectual laziness - for this ignorance to manifest in a belief in God.
    By 'God', I mean a reflexive, unthinking belief in the supernatural. Call it what you like and intellectualise it as you like, but it's all the same mumbo-jumbo: a desire for some order and meaning in a chaotic and meaningless universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    By 'God', I mean a reflexive, unthinking belief in the supernatural. Call it what you like and intellectualise it as you like, but it's all the same mumbo-jumbo: a desire for some order and meaning in a chaotic and meaningless universe.
    But 'supernatural' can also encompass matters that are spiritual. This need not have anything to do with God, which is why I objected to you conflating the two.

What you actually mean is "Anyone who has opened their mind for more than 5 minutes will be aware that there's loads we don't yet know or understand about the world - and will be open to the possibility of transcendental potential (for want of a better phrase)".

Fúck all to do with God.
    Last edited by Monty92; 12-05-2017 at 11:59 AM.

But 'supernatural' can also encompass matters that are spiritual. This need not have anything to do with God, which is why I objected to you conflating the two.

What you actually mean is "Anyone who has opened their mind for more than 5 minutes will be aware that there's loads we don't yet know or understand about the world - and will be open to the possibility of transcendental potential (for want of a better phrase)".

Fúck all to do with God.
    That depends on how you define God. I subscribe to Gandhi's view:

'seek the truth and you will find God'

Quite the most beautiful thing, that.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    That depends on how you define God. I subscribe to Gandhi's view:

'seek the truth and you will find God'

Quite the most beautiful thing, that.
    I would argue that there is no definition of God that is credible, helpful or necessary for human well-being and progress.

Fúck all to do with God.
    If you believe any of that shít, you're only a cùnt hair away from being a god-botherer yourself imo. I always find convinced atheists who then come out with this type of horseshít very funny, I must say. Proof - if it were needed - of my avatar's dictum that ''When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything."

Let's just say that 'god' is whatever it is that every human being instinctively tries to bargain with at times of stress. That exists within all of us.

If you believe any of that shít, you're only a cùnt hair away from being a god-botherer yourself imo. I always find convinced atheists who then come out with this type of horseshít very funny, I must say. Proof - if it were needed - of my avatar's dictum that ''When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything."

Let's just say that 'god' is whatever it is that every human being instinctively tries to bargain with at times of stress. That exists within all of us.
    You think acknowledging that we have no real idea about the origins of human consciousness is only a **** hair away from being a God botherer?

My word.

You think acknowledging that we have no real idea about the origins of human consciousness is only a **** hair away from being a God botherer?

My word.
    I think that a belief in human spirituality is simply a means of sublimating and rendering intellectually acceptable a pre-existing gut-level belief in a higher supernatural power. It's just a smokescreen thrown up by people who desperately want to believe in something, but won't let themselves believe in a 'God'. If you believe there are such things as 'matters spiritual', you are de facto admitting you believe in the human soul - a wholly religious construct.

Quite frankly, the entire notion of religion (used to control people and amass riches through the ages) is preposterous.

If you proposed the idea now of living your life by means of 2000 year old folklore, you'd be sent to the Mental Hospital.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I think that a belief in human spirituality is simply a means of sublimating and rendering intellectually acceptable a pre-existing gut-level belief in a higher supernatural power. It's just a smokescreen thrown up by people who desperately want to believe in something, but won't let themselves believe in a 'God'. If you believe there are such things as 'matters spiritual', you are de facto admitting you believe in the human soul - a wholly religious construct.
    I would concede that the term 'spiritual' comes heavily loaded with religious connotations, and to that extent is certainly inadequate or imperfect.

But it only takes a small broadening of our traditional concept of spirituality to encompass matters such as the mysteries of consciousness that have absolutely nothing to do with God.

Believing in such matters is not a smokescreen - it's an inevitable and unavoidable consequence of 5 minutes of opening your mind.

I would argue that there is no definition of God that is credible, helpful or necessary for human well-being and progress.
    How about contentment and peace of mind? Imagine that everyone on this lovely planet of ours experienced both of these on a daily basis precisely because of their belief in God. Then add all that peace and contentment for every human being that has ever lived and you'll come up with something far more valuable than anything delivered by man in the name of progress.