Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlike Sir C who is, I believe, something of a big girl's blouse, I can attend a

Unlike Sir C who is, I believe, something of a big girl's blouse, I can attend a

carol service and maintain a rugged, steely demeanour throughout; unless of course, they sing 'Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel. The opening gregorian refrain weakens my resolve and by the time I hear 'far from the face of God's dear son', manly tears roll down my cheeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    carol service and maintain a rugged, steely demeanour throughout; unless of course, they sing 'Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel. The opening gregorian refrain weakens my resolve and by the time I hear 'far from the face of God's dear son', manly tears roll down my cheeks.
    It's not just carols, h. The opening bar of 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is enough to set me off.

'Mistletoe and Wine' has me in floods.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's not just carols, h. The opening bar of 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is enough to set me off.

Will there be drink at the event?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Will there be drink at the event?
    Tonight? It's in a church, but I'm told there will be wine and mince pies to start.

After which I'm going to eat Vietnamese food, accompanied by a rake of pints.

Tonight? It's in a church, but I'm told there will be wine and mince pies to start.

After which I'm going to eat Vietnamese food, accompanied by a rake of pints.
    What do Vietnamers eat then?

Mince pies, sour, cold wine, a hard wooden bench in a cold church basement. Earnest, pink-faced Anglican types. Ugh. It's all coming back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    What do Vietnamers eat then?
    They eat the good stuff, sw. From the deep, dark broth of the phó to the delicate refinement of the summer roll; the crisp deliciousness of the banh xeo to the hearty satisfaction of the cóm saigon.

You'd hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I still cannot BELIEVE you think Ramsey didn't mean it

How can someone watch football for (presumably) decades and still have such a staggeringly weak instinct for the most basic rudimentaries of the game? It's genuinely bewildering.

I actually can't think of any other equivalent in life, where there can be such a gap between professed and *actual* levels of appreciation for a subject or pastime. I know I'm laughing at you, but I would genuinely be intrigued if you're able to shed any light on how this can happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Mince pies, sour, cold wine, a hard wooden bench in a cold church basement. Earnest, pink-faced Anglican types. Ugh. It's all coming back to me.
    Hold on, this is some kind of Proddy ceremony?

Jesus didn't even die for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I hardly think so, b. This is a classy organisation we're talking about here.

There will be prods, I'll grant you that.