Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to a christmas carol service this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Meh. fùck ‘em - as Scrooge would doubtless have said if they could’ve got it past the censors back then.

Actually, the idea of a sweary Scrooge has comic potential imo.
    Who are these ''em' of whom you speak, b? Your fellow men? Surely at this season of goodwill towards all men you can put away your (perfectly understandable) misanthropy and follow the Lord's advice? Just for these few short weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    No Adestes Fideles in sight, sadly as I quite like that one. My son took Latin up until last year and has now dropped it. Shame as he was quite good at it but it is definitely on the outs. Loads of it about in the services though, even his house they don't have attendance or registration or whatever, it's called Ad Sum and they have to say 'sum' when their name is called.

I find Latin quite stirring, always makes me feel nostalgic and, for some reason, safe. If you see what I mean.
    The year after I left, my school hired its first non-classicist as headmaster. Now they let girls in the sixth form. Slippery slope, y’see?

I just like the idea of quipping in Latin just to be a cùnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Who are these ''em' of whom you speak, b? Your fellow men? Surely at this season of goodwill towards all men you can put away your (perfectly understandable) misanthropy and follow the Lord's advice? Just for these few short weeks?
    Nah. Fùck ‘em even more in these couple of weeks. Cùnts.

The year after I left, my school hired its first non-classicist as headmaster. Now they let girls in the sixth form. Slippery slope, y’see?
    Oh yes.

Girls began attending my son's school for 6th form few years back. They just announced it's full on coed in a few years.

The year after my son is finished.

Nah. Fùck ‘em even more in these couple of weeks. Cùnts.
    I hope you get fúck all for christmas and get to spend your eternity in hell chewing on overcooked turkey breast, Mr fúcking buzzkill.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Oh yes.

Girls began attending my son's school for 6th form few years back. They just announced it's full on coed in a few years.

The year after my son is finished.
    Is it Charterhouse, did you say? Bad business.

This country’s single-sex public schools are some of its only truly elite and world-beating institutions. We seem determined to ruin them by letting chicks in

My problem is that I will be surrounded by the glw's work colleagues, and, of course, christmas carols make me blub like a baby.

You know that if you go look inside some stables at midnight on christmas eve all the animals bow? I saw this phenomenon once when I was a child.

I am attending one on Thursday as my daughter has somehow got herself involved in a “folk group” at school. Now this obviously throws up all sorts of worrying musical scenarios but what can you do. Coupled with the absolute fact that she is arguably as bad a singer as I have ever heard in my life, truly leave the room stuff. So factor in 20-30 of them.

I know one of the songs they are doing but cannot recall, safe to say however it is not Folk by any stretch or definition.

Then I find out that said “folk” act are only one of a list of acts – Scoil Rock (the school music band), a trad group, a tin whistle group, an ordinary choir etc.

Shít scenes.

I hope you get fúck all for christmas and get to spend your eternity in hell chewing on overcooked turkey breast, Mr fúcking buzzkill.
    The Queen's speech on Christmas day. I simply will not let the in-laws begin eating my Christmas dinner until we've listened to it.

They tell me that's sweet in a very patronizing 'what a nice colonial you are' manner.

I’m going to have to cook a fùcking turkey. That’s a major factor in my misery

Is it Charterhouse, did you say? Bad business.

This country’s single-sex public schools are some of its only truly elite and world-beating institutions. We seem determined to ruin them by letting chicks in
    We are as one on this one, Burney. Not sure how much is driven by economics as opposed to political correctness.

But going to the various activities for parents leaves you with a tremendous sense of history and tradition, I find it almost spiritual in some way.

And then the bints arrive and ruin the whole thing.