Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On balance, I'm not sure I don't prefer the usual type of game against Mourinho sides

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I thought we went at them from the word go, another day and we win that game comfortably. We played as well, if not better, than we did against spurs. You just can't give any side a 2-0 headstart, let alone United.

De Gea was superb but our finishing was awful, as was the referee.
    The difference is that against Spurs we defended superbly - particularly Mustafi. Against United we were terrible - particularly Mustafi.

I thought we went at them from the word go, another day and we win that game comfortably. We played as well, if not better, than we did against spurs. You just can't give any side a 2-0 headstart, let alone United.

Yeah, although at times it did put me in mind of Ossie Ardiles' period managing Spurs where he kept playing five up front and wondering why he kept losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yeah, although at times it did put me in mind of Ossie Ardiles' period managing Spurs where he kept playing five up front and wondering why he kept losing.
    I was thinking Keegan's Newcastle side, at the time

Apart from the possible Welbeck pen I thought he did okay, certainly far from awful.

Big call on Pogba, correct one but would not have been surprised to see yellow. Would have been roaring for yellow had it been one of our chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Apart from the possible Welbeck pen I thought he did okay, certainly far from awful.

Big call on Pogba, correct one but would not have been surprised to see yellow. Would have been roaring for yellow had it been one of our chaps.
    3 pens not given, 2 obvious (the one on Lacazette was blindingly obvious).

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    True. Although that said, I did find going two goals down quite calming. It removed the hope that normally makes big games so unbearable. Unfortunately, when we got a goal back, the tension returned - until, of course, they wandered up the other end and scored.
    yes, not sure what Kos was thinking there.... perhaps I have answered my own question?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought that about De Gea. The double save from Lacazette/Sanchez was astonishingly good however the rest or them were poor finishing or, in most cases, just bad luck for us.

Not convinced we played into Mourinho's game plan, though. They had to win and he knew it so they actually came to play. And other than a poor start (how many times has that happened to us in big matches over the past 5-6 years) we played them off the park. Had they soaked pressure while looking comfortable I would agree with you, but we really ripped them apart.

Apart from the start, I really enjoyed it.
    THe save from Lukaku was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    THe save from Lukaku was pretty great.
    Ish, it deflected off his body so was hardly moving with any amount of pace.

I appreciate keepers aren't your area of knowledge, Peter, but don't you think Cech should have done better with the first? Not sure a keeper should be beaten between his legs from that angle, his body shape looked wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Ish, it deflected off his body so was hardly moving with any amount of pace.

I appreciate keepers aren't your area of knowledge, Peter, but don't you think Cech should have done better with the first? Not sure a keeper should be beaten between his legs from that angle, his body shape looked wrong to me.
    Thank you, Lev Yashin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Thank you, Lev Yashin.
    I read something about Lev this morning, possible in Syed's article in the Times.

Did you know he let in two goals in an international tournament game once and the Russkis never forgave him? His wife said they used to write unrepeatable things in the dirt on his car.

Good ole Russkis.