Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On balance, I'm not sure I don't prefer the usual type of game against Mourinho sides

On balance, I'm not sure I don't prefer the usual type of game against Mourinho sides

You know the ones - loads of possession, but no penetration and they win by a goal or two.

Actually having shítloads of chances and still losing 1-3 was even more galling, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You know the ones - loads of possession, but no penetration and they win by a goal or two.

Actually having shítloads of chances and still losing 1-3 was even more galling, if anything.
    The match only panned out the way it did because The Arsenal's defence gifted the ****s two ****ing goals in the first ten minutes.

We weren't 'brave' or 'unlucky' (as I have read elsewhere), we absolutely played into a Mourinho team's game plan. We didn't make it hard for them.

De Gea? The double save was class, but the rest of them were no better than Fabianski's when Swansea beat us at home.

In short, Wenger out.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    The match only panned out the way it did because The Arsenal's defence gifted the ****s two ****ing goals in the first ten minutes.

We weren't 'brave' or 'unlucky' (as I have read elsewhere), we absolutely played into a Mourinho team's game plan. We didn't make it hard for them.

De Gea? The double save was class, but the rest of them were no better than Fabianski's when Swansea beat us at home.

In short, Wenger out.
    True. Although that said, I did find going two goals down quite calming. It removed the hope that normally makes big games so unbearable. Unfortunately, when we got a goal back, the tension returned - until, of course, they wandered up the other end and scored.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

In short, Wenger out.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought that about De Gea. The double save from Lacazette/Sanchez was astonishingly good however the rest or them were poor finishing or, in most cases, just bad luck for us.

Not convinced we played into Mourinho's game plan, though. They had to win and he knew it so they actually came to play. And other than a poor start (how many times has that happened to us in big matches over the past 5-6 years) we played them off the park. Had they soaked pressure while looking comfortable I would agree with you, but we really ripped them apart.

Apart from the start, I really enjoyed it.

Reminded a bit of that bizzare game vs Charlton at Highbury.

Went 1nil up and then found ourselves 4-1 down...had 27 shots in goal that day.

Sometimes sh it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Reminded a bit of that bizzare game vs Charlton at Highbury.

Went 1nil up and then found ourselves 4-1 down...had 27 shots in goal that day.

Sometimes sh it happens.
    Richard ****ing Wright
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Apart from the start, I really enjoyed it.
    Between 2-0 and 3-1 it was a cracking game. At 2-1 it was next goal wins it but as soon as the Chilean gave the ball away I knew it was all over. Presumably we wouldn't have battered them like that if we hadn't given them the two goal head start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Between 2-0 and 3-1 it was a cracking game. At 2-1 it was next goal wins it but as soon as the Chilean gave the ball away I knew it was all over. Presumably we wouldn't have battered them like that if we hadn't given them the two goal head start.
    No. If we hadn't given them a two-goal headstart, we'd have tried to be cagey... and still lost by two goals.

No. If we hadn't given them a two-goal headstart, we'd have tried to be cagey... and still lost by two goals.
    I thought we went at them from the word go, another day and we win that game comfortably. We played as well, if not better, than we did against spurs. You just can't give any side a 2-0 headstart, let alone United.

De Gea was superb but our finishing was awful, as was the referee.

Great atmosphere though, going for it like that. Apparently we had a decent shout for a pen near the end, even though I didn't think it was at the time.