Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: For those of you with sufficient musical taste to appreciate the Stones

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm sorry Comrade I agree with you I realise now that I misspoke due to failing to check my privilege you're absolutely correct please don't send me back to the camps!
    Stop it. You must stop....

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You know you're exhibiting the very musical snobbishness you so readily mock in others, don't you?
    I am doing abolutely nothing of the sort. I am simply failing to change my opinion to agree with that of others. I find it remarkable that one is simply not allowed to hold a view which doesn't fit with current orthodoxy, be it in the matter of transers, Islamists or the perceived greatness of the Rolling Stones.

I don't think they're a great band. I don't know why that offends you all so much.

I am doing abolutely nothing of the sort. I am simply failing to change my opinion to agree with that of others. I find it remarkable that one is simply not allowed to hold a view which doesn't fit with current orthodoxy, be it in the matter of transers, Islamists or the perceived greatness of the Rolling Stones.

I don't think they're a great band. I don't know why that offends you all so much.
    No, I don't mean you not liking the Rolling Stones, I mean the way in which you denigrate the 'mere' pop song.

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine...

'Dancing In The Dark' is indeed a pop song. There is nothing wrong with pop songs. I rather like some pop songs. They're not my favourite genre, though, nor do they constitute Great Music.

I'm going to level with you about the Osmonds; I prefer Jimmy's solo work.
    It is difficult to argue with the pungent cynicism of 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool' c I must grant you but Marie's 'Paper Roses' must surely contend also?

No, I don't mean you not liking the Rolling Stones, I mean the way in which you denigrate the 'mere' pop song.
    You haven't read what I have written. Time and again I have said that there is nothing wrong with a good pop song and that I enjoy many pop songs. I do not consider, however, that pop songs constitute Great Music. That's not denigration, that's simple reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its a great album, and as a bonus you get to see where the verve got their sound from
    Their best and my favourite. Beggars Banquet is two great songs and 8 fillers. Prodigal Son and Salt of the Earth being slightly better than filler I suppose.

In contrast, Sticky Fingers is two great songs and several pieces of highly underrated genius. Specifically, You Gotta Move, Moonlight Mile, I Got the Blues and Dead Flowers.

G'warn b! Give the grizzled old dodgy wheeler dealer what for. (he'll be prising his pilot's licence into the debate at any second).

You haven't read what I have written. Time and again I have said that there is nothing wrong with a good pop song and that I enjoy many pop songs. I do not consider, however, that pop songs constitute Great Music. That's not denigration, that's simple reality.
    Wash your mouth out! I would refer you to the Smokey Robinson and Sam Cooke back catalogues. Both pop. Both great.

'Not 'great music' my white, hairy arse!

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    G'warn b! Give the grizzled old dodgy wheeler dealer what for. (he'll be prising his pilot's licence into the debate at any second).
    I had a display routine one season which used Robbie Williams' 'Let Me Entertain You' as its soundtrack. I thought it an excellent pop song, and it suited the high energy display routine perfectly. It was a very dynamic show with plenty of downeard flicks and tumbles, h.