Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Say what you like about these Balkan types, they don't lack a sense of drama

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Must we have these Americanisms? It’s ‘gaol’ for goodness’ sake. Like the pub in Biggin Hill.
    It's one of those unfortunate instances where usage has rendered the correct form archaic, isn't it? I can't remember the last time I saw it written as 'gaol'. Perhaps I simply haven't noticed.

I shall revert to the English form, both written and verbal. "He spent fifteen years in gayole."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's one of those unfortunate instances where usage has rendered the correct form archaic, isn't it? I can't remember the last time I saw it written as 'gaol'. Perhaps I simply haven't noticed.

I shall revert to the English form, both written and verbal. "He spent fifteen years in gayole."
    That's just a camp Spanish greeting

http://www.crumlinroadgaol.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I'm surprised that website isn't written in jailic, sw.

(D'you see? 'Jailic'? Fúcking good, that is.)

I'm surprised that website isn't written in jailic, sw.

(D'you see? 'Jailic'? Fúcking good, that is.)
    Probably would make more sense if written in Irish as opposed to this thing you refer to as Gaelic/Jailic is Scotch in origin.

Good to see the colonies retaining proper English, sw.

Probably would make more sense if written in Irish as opposed to this thing you refer to as Gaelic/Jailic is Scotch in origin.
    Oh yes, the old 'it's not gaelic it's Irish' thing. It's all just made up nonsense, who cares what it's called?

Oh yes, the old 'it's not gaelic it's Irish' thing. It's all just made up nonsense, who cares what it's called?
    A language whose spelling and pronunciation appear to have been arrived at by committees working in different rooms and with absolutely no contact with one another.

Gaelic from the Latin Galli (the chicken people).You keep chickens don't you Sir C?