Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: There are lot of people this morning saying that one of Jamie Bulger's killers being

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Who? Bulger's or Venables'?
    Errr, Venables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Paying by card can be quicker than with cash these days. Yesterday I bought something for £1, had no change and would have had to split a 20. TAP with a card, job done.
    I've recently got Apple Pay on my phone which in theory should allow me to use my phone to tap into public transport, pay for things, etc. I'm not sure why but I've not yet summoned the courage to use it.

I must admit I waver on the death penalty thing. I can see the arguments for and against, but am ultimately repulsed by many of its advocates' apparent bloodlust. I suppose that I ultimately am sufficiently squeamish and liberal to feel that it just isn't the sort of thing a civilised society ought to be doing.

Obviously, I make an exception for people who don't indicate at roundabouts. I would personally shoot them in the back of the neck and sleep peacefully.
    Good Lord! I find myself in a position actually to the right of AWIMB's swivel-eyed-loon-in-chief.

I hold that certain crimes are so unforgivably heinous that only the chop will do. My critics at he dinner tables of leafy Buckinghamshire point at that it is a retributionist ideal that will always fail intellectual scrutiny and I agree wholeheartedly. The need for retribution, on those who have callously murdered your children for example, is primal and innate and is the seed of justice itself.

I doubt that the revolting bellicose **** Mladic would be bellowing from the dock in The Hague if he faced the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Errr, Venables.
    Oh, that's alright. I did think it was a bit harsh on Bulger's dad.

Hmmmm ... he is a scouse b

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The death penalty is alive and kicking (as such) in the USA and there is a very rounded society.
    It's not really, though, is it? It's fair to say that their adherence to the death penalty might also make them a wee bit callous in other areas of their society, don't you think? For instance...

Insulin.jpg

I don't know anything about Bulger's parents, other than the fact that his mum was distracted when he got snatched, which does seem rather unforgivable. I mean, you can sometimes lose track of the movements of a 4 or 5-year-old, but a two-year-old? Nah, you *always* have one eye on a two-year-old when out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Good Lord! I find myself in a position actually to the right of AWIMB's swivel-eyed-loon-in-chief.

I hold that certain crimes are so unforgivably heinous that only the chop will do. My critics at he dinner tables of leafy Buckinghamshire point at that it is a retributionist ideal that will always fail intellectual scrutiny and I agree wholeheartedly. The need for retribution, on those who have callously murdered your children for example, is primal and innate and is the seed of justice itself.

I doubt that the revolting bellicose **** Mladic would be bellowing from the dock in The Hague if he faced the rope.
    I agree about the desire for personal justice, but that is personal. Frankly, if someone takes personal vengeance for the murder of a child and kills the perpetrator, I for one would generally applaud them and hope they would be treated leniently by the judicial system. That, as you say, is a very natural right of justice that exists outside the law.

However, once you forego that option and leave it up to the state to enact justice on your behalf, you can basically fùck off as far as I'm concerned. At that point, your feelings no longer have anything to do with anything. It's just cold, dispassionate law.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    As a punishment it does fit the crime on occasion all the same. Your female sense of squeamishness does not come into it as you don’t have to stand and watch it, a public beheading as such.

Fúck them, ****s at the bar ordering coffee and then paying by card.
    I blame the pub for selling coffee. If you offer ****ery, you attract ****s.

For paying by card, see Sir C's excellent point below. THe only reason I tap in a pub is precisely because it is quicker. I like to keep the service moving, for everyone's sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I don't know anything about Bulger's parents, other than the fact that his mum was distracted when he got snatched, which does seem rather unforgivable. I mean, you can sometimes lose track of the movements of a 4 or 5-year-old, but a two-year-old? Nah, you *always* have one eye on a two-year-old when out in public.
    Exactly. I remember kids at that age and the idea that you could lose track of them for more than a few seconds without going into panic mode seems unthinkable to me.

However, I'm sure her conscience has punished the poor woman enough for the last 24 years, so I'm not going to kick her.