Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: There are lot of people this morning saying that one of Jamie Bulger's killers being

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But the fact that you see hundreds of people doing it is proof that it is tolerated. It is tolerated, but when someone does it with dire consequences, condign punishments ensue. However, it's clear that those condign punishments aren't stopping people doing it.
    Well it would be astonishing if one custodial sentence caused all illegal mobile use to cease immediately but, as with drinking and driving, the message will seep into the collective conscious and the behaviour will become unacceptable. Something you would be ashamed to tell your friends and family you had been caught doing.

"Who would you rather bump into down a dark alley- the guy who loves a bit of murder but is clearly **** at it or the bloke who is so good at it that he ends up killing people without even trying? "

Neither
    One has the intent
    The other has the accidental skill to off me
    Given the outcome with the latter I would say that 'achievement'/'consequences' is equal to intent legalistically
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Right. So the ethical aspect should be determined solely by actions (driving pissed). However, the legal aspect will also punish the outcome.

In other words, you are just as big a **** whether the kid dies or not but if he does you are a **** in prison.
    Sure. We are essentially talking about the difference between a high-flown ethical notion of justice and the grim, workaday and entirely pragmatic operation of law as a means to control a civil society. My point is that they have little or nothing to do with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    As a parent, I am genuinely staggered that more people don't kill their own kids, given how many emotionally fragile people we know there are around. There is no greater provocation to violence than a small, whining child.
    That's what the pill, and abortion, were invented for, I think; for those of fellows that don't have the money and/or the temperament for it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Well it would be astonishing if one custodial sentence caused all illegal mobile use to cease immediately but, as with drinking and driving, the message will seep into the collective conscious and the behaviour will become unacceptable. Something you would be ashamed to tell your friends and family you had been caught doing.
    More difficult. The drink driving thing played on deep-seated puritanical notions of shame about drinking and intoxication in this country. Even now, there are very different moral attitudes to drink-driving depending on where you go. It's harder to induce similar levels of shame about mobile phone use.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I assumed you meant involuntary manslaughter...
    Look at it this way. With murder and attempted murder we group the two crimes by intent (to kill) but sentence them according to effect (death or otherwise). With murder and manslaughter we group the effect (death) but sentence according to intent.

So we can all agree it is worse to intentionally kill someone (intent and effect) than to do it by accident (effect alone). We also seem to agree that it is worse to intentionally kill someone than to try and **** it up (intent but not effect). The grey area is whether attempted murder (intent) is worse than manslaughter (unintended effect).

So what Do we deem more serious, the intent or the effect?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's what the pill, and abortion, were invented for, I think; for those of fellows that don't have the money and/or the temperament for it.
    May I ask, given your apparent distaste for contraception and termination, how you ensure you don't inadvertently augment the brood?

Sure. We are essentially talking about the difference between a high-flown ethical notion of justice and the grim, workaday and entirely pragmatic operation of law as a means to control a civil society. My point is that they have little or nothing to do with one another.
    In operation they have little to do with each other, quite deliberately. In practice, as mentioned earlier, many people take the law as a moral yardstick, at least in the vaguely moral sense that if the law deems something wrong then it probably is. For some individuals this is an effective deterrent beyond the threat of punishment. For the rest of us there is the risk of punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Look at it this way. With murder and attempted murder we group the two crimes by intent (to kill) but sentence them according to effect (death or otherwise). With murder and manslaughter we group the effect (death) but sentence according to intent.

So we can all agree it is worse to intentionally kill someone (intent and effect) than to do it by accident (effect alone). We also seem to agree that it is worse to intentionally kill someone than to try and **** it up (intent but not effect). The grey area is whether attempted murder (intent) is worse than manslaughter (unintended effect).

So what Do we deem more serious, the intent or the effect?
    Well if you regard law as a means to protect society, one could argue that the attempted murderer should serve just as long as the successful killer. After all, the person has demonstrated a willingness and desire to kill, which makes them no less dangerous to the public at large than if they'd succeeded. There, it seems to me, is where our insistence on consequence-based sentencing falls down badly.

More difficult. The drink driving thing played on deep-seated puritanical notions of shame about drinking and intoxication in this country. Even now, there are very different moral attitudes to drink-driving depending on where you go. It's harder to induce similar levels of shame about mobile phone use.
    I went on a speed awareness course (twice) and the guy attempted to draw a moral parallel with stealing (I would argue you are stealing somebody's safety) and then drink driving (you wouldn't endanger someone by drink driving, why do it through excessive speed).

It was the only point where it threatened to get interesting.

Three hours and they didnt even offer us any speed