Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Approximately 18 months ago I, World's End Stella, went on an extensive youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    You say our form dipped considerably while theirs improved from Feb onwards, yet between the start of Feb and the start of April they'd only amassed five more points than us, which hardly supports your assessment.
    I make that 20 and 11, a difference of 9 points. Which, over the course of that amount of games is actually ****ing massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I wasnt going to do this but you have forced me to. This is a post from you on 20 April in that year:

"At this point I think I'd even have Spurs as favourites. I guess our best hope is Chelsea pulling their fingers out at the Bridge but you can easily see them winning their remaining games"

it seems you were quite convinced by them at the time, Monty. Later on in the thread you also say

"7 point gap with five games to go. I dont think we have come that close in a very long time".

You are wrong above, by the way. when they drew with West BRom there were only three games to go.

20 April, 2016.
    I would make that game , set and match to Peter
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I wasnt going to do this but you have forced me to. This is a post from you on 20 April in that year:

"At this point I think I'd even have Spurs as favourites. I guess our best hope is Chelsea pulling their fingers out at the Bridge but you can easily see them winning their remaining games"

it seems you were quite convinced by them at the time, Monty. Later on in the thread you also say

"7 point gap with five games to go. I dont think we have come that close in a very long time".

You are wrong above, by the way. when they drew with West BRom there were only three games to go.

20 April, 2016.
    Oh I've been petrified about them winning the league for both of the seasons under discussion, until they mathematically couldn't.

I was also petrified about not winning on Saturday until we entered the last minute of injury time.

We can now look back with clear eyes and what I am contesting is whether there was such a great disparity between our efforts (in particular two years ago) to justify yours and WES's broader conclusions.

I make that 20 and 11, a difference of 9 points. Which, over the course of that amount of games is actually ****ing massive.
    Your numbers are wrong.

Your numbers are wrong.
    I just went with start of Feb to start of April, as you said.

Oh I've been petrified about them winning the league for both of the seasons under discussion, until they mathematically couldn't.

I was also petrified about not winning on Saturday until we entered the last minute of injury time.

We can now look back with clear eyes and what I am contesting is whether there was such a great disparity between our efforts (in particular two years ago) to justify yours and WES's broader conclusions.
    As I said, perspective matters. At the time they certainly looked capable of winning it. I think favourites is a bit strong

Seeing as this thread has degenerated into autistic tedium I might as well join in.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    City's ability to sign players that we cannot does not excuse our lack of signings nor our inability to challenge for the league or the CL on a reasonably consistent basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    So we should regularly be as good as a club who have unlimited power to recruit better players than us in every position.
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    No, I did not say this.
    It was logically implied by you saying that "City's ability to sign players that we cannot ... does not excuse our inability to challenge for the league or the CL on a reasonably consistent basis."

To consistently challenge for the league we should be at least very close to the best teams most years, and that means Man City who are, as I said a club who have unlimited power to recruit better players than us in every position.

Although you could make an argument that had we ditched Wenger when we should have that we had a very good chance at Guardiola and we might very well be just as good as City or anyone else right now. Sadly, we'll never know as the one thing Arsenal haven't had for many years and won't have until Wenger leaves is hope.
    Again, in your mind the only difference between the two clubs is that they have a great manager and we have a bad one.

If you'd just said that Veng should have done a bit better in the league at some point or two in recent years then probably no-one would disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Seeing as this thread has degenerated into autistic tedium I might as well join in.

It was logically implied by you saying that "City's ability to sign players that we cannot ... does not excuse our inability to challenge for the league or the CL on a reasonably consistent basis."

To consistently challenge for the league we should be at least very close to the best teams most years, and that means Man City who are, as I said a club who have unlimited power to recruit better players than us in every position.

Again, in your mind the only difference between the two clubs is that they have a great manager and we have a bad one.

If you'd just said that Veng should have done a bit better in the league at some point or two in recent years then probably no-one would disagree with you.
    I would, just on principle

You guys have completely missed the point...If we couldnt get the Hackman6 deal sorted then we had ZERO chance getting the likes of Leroy Sane.

Laughable that we supposedly bid £92m for Lamar.

Wenger should’ve got Trabelsi, Mexes, Hackman and Eto’o years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    You guys have completely missed the point...If we couldnt get the Hackman6 deal sorted then we had ZERO chance getting the likes of Leroy Sane.

Laughable that we supposedly bid £92m for Lamar.

Wenger should’ve got Trabelsi, Mexes, Hackman and Eto’o years ago.
    All started with getting the wrong Dixon in 88, t