Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh for the record.Last night's University Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Probably know more than I do to be fair.
    I didnt spend time in Kildare entirely through choice, before anyone points out that it is pretty ****ing dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Even I knew that, and I've spent a lifetime purposely avoiding reading or hearing anything that refers to Irish history.
    And my interest in Irish history is largely based on 18th and 19th century. I know nothing of the Curragh mutiny other than that it happened at the Curragh and the Curragh is in Kildare.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    And my interest in Irish history is largely based on 18th and 19th century. I know nothing of the Curragh mutiny other than that it happened at the Curragh and the Curragh is in Kildare.
    It was British and Anglo-Irish officers who were signalling their refusal to put down the UVF's effective insurrection in the north, p. Which was a bit treasonous of them, but sort of understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It was British and Anglo-Irish officers who were signalling their refusal to put down the UVF's effective insurrection in the north, p. Which was a bit treasonous of them, but sort of understandable.
    Well, I know that much.

It was three questions on mutinies. I was disappointed the Indian one didnt come up.

Well, I know that much.

It was three questions on mutinies. I was disappointed the Indian one didnt come up.
    It's probably considered problematic to call it a mutiny these days. We probably have to call it The First War of Indian Independence or something equally silly. Mind you, as far as I'm aware, it's the only war of Indian Independence - if you don't count when they all started slaughtering each other the minute they got actual independence.

It's probably considered problematic to call it a mutiny these days. We probably have to call it The First War of Indian Independence or something equally silly. Mind you, as far as I'm aware, it's the only war of Indian Independence - if you don't count when they all started slaughtering each other the minute they got actual independence.
    It was our fault they decided to slaughter each other don’t forget.

THat was a civil war...

It was a mutiny. The ungrateful *******s!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It was our fault they decided to slaughter each other don’t forget.
    In the broader sense, yes it was.

In the broader sense, yes it was.
    Hmmm. Looked at from another perspective, we were the only thing that stopped them slaughtering one another for 200 years.

THat was a civil war...

It was a mutiny. The ungrateful *******s!
    Of course it was all fomented by the Russians*.

*Source: Flashman In The Great Game