Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing Sir C's mention of chopped liver reminded me that I cannot physically eat

Seeing Sir C's mention of chopped liver reminded me that I cannot physically eat

liver. When I bite into it a nasty furry film forms on the roof of my mouth and an emetic reflex kicks in.

I believe if I were actually on the verge of real starvation I would not be able to chew and swallow liver without vomiting.

Am I alone in this affliction?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    liver. When I bite into it a nasty furry film forms on the roof of my mouth and an emetic reflex kicks in.

I believe if I were actually on the verge of real starvation I would not be able to chew and swallow liver without vomiting.

I am currently in the process of trying to make my wife like liver. I made her the most delicious, tender, pink calves liver with pancetta, onions and Marsala the other week. She ate it politely, but later admitted she absolutely hated it.

No, I'm with you on this h... can't stand it
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Without wishing to be indelicate or unpatriotic, h, would I be correct in assuming that what you call 'liver' is the English dish of slabs of lamb or, God help us, ox liver, fried to a uniform grey dryness, served with limp, water-filled 'bacon', Cadbury's Smash and Bisto?

Sometimes I don't really understand my homeland

Nope. Makes me puke too.

That's exactly it c, and the stuff at school had ghastly small 'tubes' of gristle

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Without wishing to be indelicate or unpatriotic, h, would I be correct in assuming that what you call 'liver' is the English dish of slabs of lamb or, God help us, ox liver, fried to a uniform grey dryness, served with limp, water-filled 'bacon', Cadbury's Smash and Bisto?

Sometimes I don't really understand my homeland
    running through it

Is there some other way of serving it and from what creature should one's liver come?

running through it

Is there some other way of serving it and from what creature should one's liver come?
    The liver may come from the chicken, or from the veal calf. In the case of the chicken it should be fried until brown on the outside but pink in the middle and may be mixed with some fried shallots and garlic, possibly even some crispy croutons, and served on toast. Quite delicious.

The true liver disjh is, of course, the calve's liver, which should come from Dutch calves, the tastiest of all. Thinly sliced, it should be lightly floured and flashed off in some extremely hot oil for seconds on each side. One may prepare a sauce, frequently of Marsala, but this to me is unnecessary, for your Dutch calf will provide all the flavours you need.

running through it

A calf, h. In extremis a pig or in some cases, a chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The liver may come from the chicken, or from the veal calf. In the case of the chicken it should be fried until brown on the outside but pink in the middle and may be mixed with some fried shallots and garlic, possibly even some crispy croutons, and served on toast. Quite delicious.

The true liver disjh is, of course, the calve's liver, which should come from Dutch calves, the tastiest of all. Thinly sliced, it should be lightly floured and flashed off in some extremely hot oil for seconds on each side. One may prepare a sauce, frequently of Marsala, but this to me is unnecessary, for your Dutch calf will provide all the flavours you need.
    I like the fegato alla veneziana, but with a couple of twists. Like the crispy pancetta.

Farkin 'ell b .. you're both talkin 'all poncy now .. and how can I tell if the

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I like the fegato alla veneziana, but with a couple of twists. Like the crispy pancetta.
    calf is dutch fer fuxake?