Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I’ve noticed that the line previously “edgy” comedians who have now miraculously

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It would be better if they made it funny but isn't the point of any art form to challenge the audience?
    Firstly, no. The point of art is not to challenge. Challenge is an optional extra, or one of many things that art can do. Secondly, what I understand to be the mainstream politics of stand-up doesn't remotely challenge most of its audience, which seems to be happy to keep paying people to make the same sneering UKIP and Brexit jokes for years, perhaps because it re-affirms their sense of superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    become “woke” are going with is that they wouldn’t make the same jokes they’d have made 15 years ago, blaming youthful ignorance for their past misdemeanours.

The problem is, you can usually go back significantly closer than 15 years to find them making jokes that wouldn’t get past the progressive mafia today. For example, in the case of that cretinous **** Sarah Silverman, I recently saw a video of her from about 5 years ago making jokes about suicide So we’re meant to believe that she’s changed her entire philosophy on what we should be allowed to make jokes about in five years?

I did like this bit from her Guardian interview:

I mention a line she used in her Jesus is Magic tour in 2005: “I was raped by a doctor. Which is, you know, so bittersweet for a Jewish girl.” She looks panicked when I mention it, and replies quickly: “Comedy is not evergreen! There are jokes I made 15 years ago that I would absolutely not make today, because I am less ignorant than I was. I know more now than I did. I change with new information.”

The thing is, I say – and I suppose this is where comedy gets very complicated – I actually brought that line up because it’s one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

“Oh!” she says, visibly relieved. “Thank you.”

As I said: ****.
    I'm sorry, I don't get that joke. :goyim:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sexism and violence are one thing (to which I'd add gross ageism), but the best bit is the snobbery. Discovering the naked hatred and contempt with which many supposedly left-leaning people hold for the white working classes has surprised even me.
    This comment makes no sense to me. Whatsoever. But that's all right, I never watch comedy. Not unless I'm absolutely sure going in that it's going to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't get that joke. :goyim:
    There is an oft-repeated cliche about Jewish parents always hassling their daughters to find themselves a "nice Jewish boy", i.e. a bloke with a bit of cash* and a solid, respectable job* such as a doctor or a lawyer. Thus, getting raped by a doctor would have leeeeetle bit the silver lining.

*This may or may not be why I am married to a goyim

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    There is an oft-repeated cliche about Jewish parents always hassling their daughters to find themselves a "nice Jewish boy", i.e. a bloke with a bit of cash* and a solid, respectable job* such as a doctor or a lawyer. Thus, getting raped by a doctor would have leeeeetle bit the silver lining.

*This may or may not be why I am married to a goyim
    Ah ah. Ach so ach so.