Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’ve noticed that the line previously “edgy” comedians who have now miraculously

I’ve noticed that the line previously “edgy” comedians who have now miraculously

become “woke” are going with is that they wouldn’t make the same jokes they’d have made 15 years ago, blaming youthful ignorance for their past misdemeanours.

The problem is, you can usually go back significantly closer than 15 years to find them making jokes that wouldn’t get past the progressive mafia today. For example, in the case of that cretinous **** Sarah Silverman, I recently saw a video of her from about 5 years ago making jokes about suicide So we’re meant to believe that she’s changed her entire philosophy on what we should be allowed to make jokes about in five years?

I did like this bit from her Guardian interview:

I mention a line she used in her Jesus is Magic tour in 2005: “I was raped by a doctor. Which is, you know, so bittersweet for a Jewish girl.” She looks panicked when I mention it, and replies quickly: “Comedy is not evergreen! There are jokes I made 15 years ago that I would absolutely not make today, because I am less ignorant than I was. I know more now than I did. I change with new information.”

The thing is, I say – and I suppose this is where comedy gets very complicated – I actually brought that line up because it’s one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

“Oh!” she says, visibly relieved. “Thank you.”

As I said: ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    become “woke” are going with is that they wouldn’t make the same jokes they’d have made 15 years ago, blaming youthful ignorance for their past misdemeanours.

The problem is, you can usually go back significantly closer than 15 years to find them making jokes that wouldn’t get past the progressive mafia today. For example, in the case of that cretinous **** Sarah Silverman, I recently saw a video of her from about 5 years ago making jokes about suicide So we’re meant to believe that she’s changed her entire philosophy on what we should be allowed to make jokes about in five years?

I did like this bit from her Guardian interview:

I mention a line she used in her Jesus is Magic tour in 2005: “I was raped by a doctor. Which is, you know, so bittersweet for a Jewish girl.” She looks panicked when I mention it, and replies quickly: “Comedy is not evergreen! There are jokes I made 15 years ago that I would absolutely not make today, because I am less ignorant than I was. I know more now than I did. I change with new information.”

The thing is, I say – and I suppose this is where comedy gets very complicated – I actually brought that line up because it’s one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

“Oh!” she says, visibly relieved. “Thank you.”

As I said: ****.
    I saw the other day that a bunch of them were saying it was their duty to keep making jokes about Brexit and Trump - even if they weren't particularly funny. This struck me as a very good philosophy to ensure the current 'comedy boom' is killed stone fücking dead, as audiences are increasingly alienated by unfunny, politically-motivated stuff that simply doesn't resonate with them.
    Last edited by Burney; 11-20-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I saw the other day that a bunch of them were saying it was their duty to keep making jokes about Brexit and Trump - even if they weren't particularly funny. This struck me as a very good philosophy to ensure the current 'comedy boom' is killed stone fücking dead, as audiences are increasingly alienated by unfunny, poetically-motivated stuff that simply doesn't resonate with them.
    That would perhaps be fine, if it weren't for the fact that jokes about Trump often focus on his appearance and jokes about Brexit are increasingly taking a distinctly violent slant (see the recent cartoons in the New European magazine and widely shared on social media).

Funny how sexism and violence is fine when applied against people you don't like.

I saw the other day that a bunch of them were saying it was their duty to keep making jokes about Brexit and Trump - even if they weren't particularly funny. This struck me as a very good philosophy to ensure the current 'comedy boom' is killed stone fücking dead, as audiences are increasingly alienated by unfunny, poetically-motivated stuff that simply doesn't resonate with them.
    It would be better if they made it funny but isn't the point of any art form to challenge the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It would be better if they made it funny but isn't the point of any art form to challenge the audience?
    Comedy's job is to do one thing and one thing only: make people laugh. If I pay 20 quid to be amused by some cünt, I'll be less than impressed if all I emerge with is a sense that I've been 'challenged' but haven't laughed.

Fùck that. If I wanted a challenge, I'd play darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    That would perhaps be fine, if it weren't for the fact that jokes about Trump often focus on his appearance and jokes about Brexit are increasingly taking a distinctly violent slant (see the recent cartoons in the New European magazine and widely shared on social media).

Funny how sexism and violence is fine when applied against people you don't like.
    Sexism and violence are one thing (to which I'd add gross ageism), but the best bit is the snobbery. Discovering the naked hatred and contempt with which many supposedly left-leaning people hold for the white working classes has surprised even me.

Comedy's job is to do one thing and one thing only: make people laugh. If I pay 20 quid to be amused by some cünt, I'll be less than impressed if all I emerge with is a sense that I've been 'challenged' but haven't laughed.

Fùck that. If I wanted a challenge, I'd play darts.
    I agree it needs to be funny but if we reduce it to that and nothing else it is going to get a bit boring.......

Darts is actually pretty ****ing easy. I would have gone with golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I agree it needs to be funny but if we reduce it to that and nothing else it is going to get a bit boring.......

Darts is actually pretty ****ing easy. I would have gone with golf.
    I'm not saying comedy can only be banal, I'm saying that it has to be funny first and if it must challenge, it has to do so on the back of being funny. If you're sacrificing funny for politics, you're getting it wrong.

I'm not saying comedy can only be banal, I'm saying that it has to be funny first and if it must challenge, it has to do so on the back of being funny. If you're sacrificing funny for politics, you're getting it wrong.
    Like Ben Elton you mean

Peter is getting it wrong
    Laughs are first and foremost
    Anything more is a bonus
    10 characters? Pile of cund.